By adopted - 03/03/2014 15:55 - United States - New York

Today, I decided it was time to tell my daughter that she had been adopted. Not only had she known for 5 years, she found out from my drunk sister. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 449
You deserved it 8 574

Same thing different taste

Top comments

probably would have been better to tell her sooner....leaving it until later in life can cause major distrust!

if she knew for 5 years she obviously didn't care much or she would have come to you sooner.

Comments

if you haven't known about that, she's probably taken it well. Be happy :)

I'm really surprised at all the negative responses on here. I'm willing to bet most of you have never had to deal with a situation like this. There really is no 'right time'. Tell it too soon and you might only confuse the child, tell it too late and it may not work out right. But there is no set age at which one can tell this. The only thing you can really do is do it when you feel prepared for it. If everyone is in a good place, it will work out regardless of age. If it doesn't work out, it is most likely not because of you telling them, but there is probably more going on.

Also, those of you telling you to say it right away, you do realize the child is probably only a baby right? The child will be unable to grasp the whole concept until he/she is around 5, so telling it before that age is mostly pointless. Apparently the ideal age is between 6 and 8, this is when they are most flexible. "Dr. Steven Nickman suggests that the ideal time for telling children about their adoption appears to be between the ages of 6 and 8. By the time children are 6 years old, they usually feel established enough in their family not to feel threatened by learning about adoption. Dr. Nickman believes that preschool children still have fears about the loss of their parents and their love and that telling them at that time is too risky. In addition, there is some question about whether a child under 6 years of age can understand the meaning of adoption and be able cognitively to work through the losses implied by learning that he was born into a different family."

YDI for not raising your daughter with her knowing that she was adopted. You should have talking to her about her unique family since she was born or when she first came into your home.

That's fantastic. It means she is ok with it and considers you family just the same.

nialls_girl 13

Well why wouldn't you let her know that since day one? My mom since I was like 2 told me about my bio dad and that I have half sisters...is it that big of a deal not to her that before someone else tells her? YDI.

This is why you tell your kids early on, that way it's not such a huge deal and then they don't have to worry about you lying to their faces their entire lives. Adoption isn't a bad thing, you chose to have them just like you would've chosen to have a baby the more conventional way, lying by omission about it just makes them think that there's something shameful about it. YDI.

Both me and my sister were adopted and we were told from the very beginning that we were. We both grew up with zero issues about being adopted, and I've never seen my mom as anything but. She chose to have us. Why do people feel like being adopted is a shameful thing?

CaroAurelia 12

As a future adoptive mother, my sentiments exactly. I will raise my children always knowing that they were adopted so they grow up knowing that it's not a shameful thing that needs to be hidden. Plus I don't want anything awkward happening like this.