By Anonymous - 26/11/2017 05:00

Today, I called my daughter a wimp and insisted her pain can't be that bad. She left in tears. Later, I got a call from her doctor informing me that she has trigeminal neuralgia, one of the most painful diseases known to man. I'm an asshole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 576
You deserved it 10 453

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Time to apologize. Profusely, and at great length.

PhantomCrevan 8

Why do I get the feeling that the OP will spend a few weeks sucking up to his daughter, then slowly revert back to not believing her when she doesn't get better? Either way, OP is lucky that his daughter wasn't suicidal (or, I would hope not), otherwise he'd likely be short a daughter (which he hopefully isn't) because trigeminal neuralgia has a very high suicide rate, especially in locations with excessively strict regulations on pain medication. Scrape and bow, OP- or do something that says that you believe her, like getting her one of those ice/heat packs that you wear on your head.

Comments

manb91uk 22

I hear that a pony can cure daddy issues

If your child is telling you they are in pain and your response is to tell them they're a wimp, you might be an asshole. But seriously, what is wrong with you that you blow off a child in tears? Did you have problems with your dad and you thought that was just how parenting works? Just because you haven't experienced pain the way she described it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Please take a moment and think about what this teaches you: listen to your kids, especially when they say something is wrong.

Yeah, this does suck. Kids now and back then have always make ailments and wounds out to be worse than they are. As a parent, I know how this is.

PhantomCrevan 8

... wow, you obviously not only can't read very well, but suck as both a parent and a human. A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL called it an extremely painful disorder. It's such a painful disorder that DOCTORS call it "the suicide disease." If you seriously think that people from any generation after yours just whine about pain and blow it out of proportion, you need to do humanity a favor and go live in a cave in the middle of nowhere. If you hate people that much, you might not make scientifically inaccurate statements about people once you are away from them.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I have an "invisible illness" (although thank God not Trigeminal Neuralgia). I can't tell you how many dozens of times I've been blown off by drs and family with "you're young, you look healthy, you're fine" only to finally have a Dr say "oh shit." So, excuse me for not having an ounce of sympathy for you, OP. I hope this will teach you to listen to your daughter and have some degree of empathy. Realize she is going through hell both physically and mentally. She's still her. She's going through hell constantly though. And while there isn't anything you can do to cure her, you can bend over backwards to gain her forgiveness, and be there as a support for her.

Even if she was fine you are still in the wrong for how you treat your kids.

Not sure if your daughter is worse off for having this disease, or for having you as a parent.

Rachael Ferguson 10

Sounds like my mum. I called her at 4:00 in the morning, telling her to take me to hospital because of severe abdominal pain. Not only did it take her 3 hrs to get there (usually takes 20 mins), but when she did, she said it was probably just constipation that I could dismiss by walking around & cleaning my apt. It actually turned out to be a burst appendix. I feel really bad for your daughter.

Yes. It would seem you are better at assessing yourself than your daughter. What kind of jerk dad calls his child a wimp anyway? I bet she feels very safe coming to you with any problems she may have. Way to go Dad of the Year.

Ah yes, l distinctly remember one night when I woke up with the most excruciating pain in my leg. Luckily my parents were upstairs taking care of my sister. I hobbled my way into her room, as I couldn't have bent my leg if I wanted to. I told them what was happening, and that it was hot to the touch. What did they say? "Oh, go back to bed honey, you just slept on it wrong." The next day I had a fever of 102.3. The doctor told us I had MRSA.

PhantomCrevan 8

Urgh. You have my empathy. I had MRSA (thanks to shitty hygiene and teaching standards at my middle school) and it was hell going through treatment even when my mom knew what it was right away. I wound up having it in ten locations by the time it was all said and done because the school kept forcing me to essentially reinfect myself. Worst part was probably the three ones that were so deep on my leg that my pediatrician, her nurse, and my mom had to hold me down while they manually cleaned it because I was at risk of it getting into my blood stream. I'm usually quiet during stuff like that, but that shit hurt enough I was howling in pain (which resulted in a lobby of hilariously terrified looks, especially from my brother when we got done.) I still have the scars. I hope your parents took you more seriously about stuff after that.

Well, you hit the nail right on the head when you called yourself an asshole. Good going OP! Next time, don’t be so quick to judge or ignore. Not everyone cries wolf. Lesson learned I do believe.