By Saddoc - 26/07/2013 07:58 - Australia - Dalkeith

Today, I attended an elderly patient's funeral. He died of a heart attack after his daughter, as his carer, stopped all of his meds in favour of a half-cup of garlic a day. Apparently she'd "read an article" about the healing power of garlic, which trumped my 6-year degree. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 321
You deserved it 2 970

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I feel terrible for the elderly man. I couldn't imagine eating a half-cup of garlic a day. That in itself is torture.

Does Australia have anything on criminally negligent homicide?

Comments

Goblin182 26

Did they not teach garlic on med school?

That lady is a complete idiot and should feel terrible for basically killing her own father. I hope she is overwhelmed with guilt.

3yrs ago my grandmother died, she could have been saved had it not been for the stupidity of my 6 aunts who were present. Sometimes people do what they honestly think is the "right thing to do". Until now, they do not see their mistakes from that awful day, I am sorry for the loss of a patient OP.

I'm pretty sure the police could charge her with criminal negligence causing death.

I am a firm believer in natural medicine. But I work with my doctors and still take my million scripts a day that are prescribed. We have been able to lower the doses of some of the harsher meds with using holistic stuff. But I would never screw with my meds on my own much less someone I'm taking care of. My heart meds are especially ones I wouldn't mess with. I wouldn't wish a heart attack on anyone, but maybe if she had one and felt the agony and fear, she would have been smarter about it. That was the worse thing I ever went through and it actually turned out to be a positive thing because it scared a lot of bad habits I developed right out of me. The two natural things I'm on are there to support the meds, not replace them. And it was my docs who came up with the idea because of other health problems I have.

lollypop30001 19

Sounds like is daughter wanted him to die a slow painful death. Just evil if you ask me.

It probably would've been a quick (in terms of how soon after taking him off the medication), painful death if she took him straight off his meds like it sounds like. He would've been a ticking time bomb.

If I'd been forced to take a half cup of garlic, 5 minutes would seem like a long day. :(

She should be charged with negligent homicide

Pretty sure garlic is used to prevent the situation he was in, not to cure it once it had occurred lol.

Sorry for your lose OP...and for the daughter's lose....and for the poor man who had to take 1/2cup of gralic till his death....