By lostforlife - 13/07/2012 00:52 - United States - Camden

Today, I asked my teenage daughter to read off directions from my iPhone while I drove. She went on Instagram instead. We missed the turn by 32 miles. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 835
You deserved it 6 895

Same thing different taste

Top comments

omfg_creepers 8

You should have made her push the car with yourself in it 36 miles backwards.

If she has a job, make her pay for the gas she wasted!

Comments

unknown_user5566 26

How did you not notice that she was quietly staring at the phone, instead of reading off directions?

Probably because they were on the highway. There aren't any directions to read for miles at a time, usually.

16- Exactly what I was thinking. Were it just a short distance, it'd be understandable. But 32 miles? Geez.

death943 10

"Keep your eyes on the road"

theneatoburrito 8

I don't understand; Instagram is devolution. Using better and newer technology to take crappier pictures? Teenagers these days... Anyways, FYL OP for missing that turn (and having a "hipster" daughter).

unknown_user5566 26

Just to clarify, not everyone uses the Instagram camera to take their photos. Many of the people I follow upload photos they've taken with an actual camera, and then occasionally apply filters. I view Instagram as a visual blog; you get to see flashes of other's days through pictures. Also you can't bash someone for being a "hipster" when you have a meme as your profile picture.

theneatoburrito 8

Why on earth would you want to lessen the quality of a picture? And a visual blog? Please. Ever hear of Tumblr? Instagram is just a sad excuse teens use to call themselves "photographers". And dear god, how does my profile picture being a meme make me hipster in any way? If anything, you're the hipster here.

unknown_user5566 26

45- That is the beauty of art- it is subjective. I have seen beautiful photographs from "traditional" photographers, as well as photographers who choose to use digital enhancements. I agree that the Instagram filters do not take skill, but in general, digital photography is definitely a skill. Photoshop is an amazing tool, though difficult to use.

theneatoburrito 8

54, I agree completely. And then these teenagers act like they're professional photographers because they have Instagram.

unknown_user5566 26

54/56- I agree that the term "photographer" is thrown around with little regard for its actual meaning these days, and not just with teenagers- adults do it too. I never said that wasn't true. :) My original point was that not everyone on Instagram uses it to look cool, or to claim that they are the next Ansel Adams.

unknown_user5566 26

Oh, and 63- A website meant to display art should not be edited based on the preference users have for certain types of photographs (traditional versus digital), in my opinion. That type of site would feel like a contradiction to its purpose, which would be displaying the artistic creations of its users.

I was confused about the meme/hipster thing, but then I realised you were saying memes are just as lame as hipsters, not that they're related in any way.

unknown_user5566 26

69- Fair enough! I just feel that art is one of the few things that should not be judged based on technique preferences, since it is supposed to represent the individual and their own creativity. :) To be honest, I don't do artsy photographs on Instagram 100% of the time, anyways. I think the majority of my photos are of my puppies. :) Even when you're not being artsy, it's a fun way to show people what is going on in your life in a nonverbal manner.

56/54: That's not true at all. I'm a teenage girl who uses instagram & I don't think that makes me a photographer, nor do any of my friends who use it. We use it because we like to take random photos & share them with each other. That doesn't make anyone a hipster either.

That is a perfect example of a photograper.

You want to know who a photographer is? A photographer is someone who takes professional photos and makes a living off of it. That is a who a photographer is. You're only hating on instagram because so many people like it.

unknown_user5566 26

105- I thought this was actually a very civil conversation where we were simply discussing opinions. No need to get your panties in a bunch and call us all stupid.

unknown_user5566 26

Next time, ask Siri instead.

"Siri, call me an ambulance!" "Ok. I will call you 'an ambulance' from now on."

This sucks but, 32 miles? Srlsly? Just because your daughter didn't read it out for you? Most people would noticed that there's something wrong within first 5-10 miles.

OP should have had a general idea of where s/he was going and which roads to take. Sure, s/he may not have been able to remember all of them, but you can't blame the passenger when you're not watching the signs.

FreaksandGeeks 5

128- Or maybe they'd never been to their destination, or even on that side of town before? Not everyone has a visual map in their head.

151 - You look up the route on Google beforehand. You look at the names of the roads you'll need to take. You keep them in mind. You occasionally ask your navigator what road you're looking to turn or exit onto next. This is especially important if you're in an unfamiliar area - why would you go blindly driving into a new place?

My research studies at MeMyself&I University show that smartphones are decreasing people's attention span and contributing to massive stupidity and lack of common sense. Example 1: Instagram-ing while trying to navigate. Example 2: The ****** in front of me who used his brakes abruptly and hogged the whole street, while on his cell phone, with broken break lights.

unknown_user5566 26

Ooh, MeMyself&I? I've heard that university is quite prestigious. ;)

It sure is. It has a 0.000001% acceptance rate. :D

Oh.. Poor you.. Wait how on earth did you not notice? Oh and I honestly think Instagram sucks..

OP didn't notice because they don't know the area/route/whatever. Why else would they have needed directions?

Well that's rather selfish of her. Priorities are not her to strong suite it seems!

never let ur children use the phone for reading instructions my daughter did the same thing

TheLolomonkee 0

Seems like something I would do haha

Next time she asks for a ride, take a 32 mile detour. Life lesson learned!