****** around, found out

By I blame Youtube - 05/01/2023 00:00

Today, my teenage son broke into my gun safe, took my gun, and dumped the magazine into the side of his ex-girlfriend's family home. He's completely stunned that he was arrested and charged with attempted murder. My wife blames me and wants a divorce. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 423
You deserved it 675

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Dear "I blame Youtube": You have a gun at home with kids around. You failed to properly secure the gun. You didn't teach your son that is not ok to shoot against people. Rethink who you blame.

That poor kid is definitely to blame. He decided to take a gun and shoot at a house. That was his decision. The dad is also to blame for not securing his firearm. And both parents are to blame for having such a stupid kid.

Comments

You have a gun at home with kids around. You deserved it.

Dear "I blame Youtube": You have a gun at home with kids around. You failed to properly secure the gun. You didn't teach your son that is not ok to shoot against people. Rethink who you blame.

it was secured. the son broke into the safe.

She's right. You ought to turn yourself into the police and take your son's place in jail. Your poor kid can't possibly be blamed for this.

That poor kid is definitely to blame. He decided to take a gun and shoot at a house. That was his decision. The dad is also to blame for not securing his firearm. And both parents are to blame for having such a stupid kid.

Nikki 16

You haven’t seen many of richards comments have you?

tiptoppc 19

Yeah, he can be such a dick in his posts…

Poor you, being blamed for not having your gunlocker secured. And for raising such a stupid kid. I can't see why anyone would blame you for anything. YDI

Reading is fundamental..... he said "broke into" .... which implies "locked" ......

You said he broke into your gun safe. How secure was it? If you did what you could reasonably be expected to do, FYL; your wife is a ****** and your son is an evil genius of the wrong variety. If you didn’t lock it or didn’t lock it well, YDI.

tiptoppc 19

Some safes have bad design. Look up lockpicking lawyer. He routinely exploits these bad designs. I can open a deadbolt with a screwdriver and a credit card. Does that mean no home is safe? Of course not. Anyone that wants in, will find a way. This kid was not clueless, he was malicious. Anyone knows if you aim a gun someones way, the potential for a death goes up 100-fold. This kid knew better. Maybe he thought he’d scare them. Bullets can go through concrete (if thin enough or enough muzzle velocity). This kid knew it could be deadly. He’s just playing stupid. And stupid kills.

I personally have mixed feelings on this. Yes, son is an absolute idiot! Yes, Dad failed to keep his firearms secure - Children young and old are observant and can have a better memory for combinations or where the keys are than you might expect. Personally I don’t trust combination locks where older kids are concerned. If you have to, put the key on a necklace you always wear. I own firearms myself, but there are no children or outsiders in our home. If you have a break-in at your home, you or your wife could be dead long before the police arrive if you are unarmed. It sounds like dad probably tried to keep the firearms secure and it was idiot son who attacked girlfriend’s home and belongs in prison… When I was in the process of getting a divorce from my ex, I left her a handgun for her self protection in a locked case and instructions to keep it safe. My teenage son who lived there cut off the lock and got access to the gun without my ex being aware. The girl he was interested in wasn’t interested in him and he called her threatening suicide if they broke up and told her he had access to a gun. The girl’s mom called the police and my son spent a week in the psyche ward and had the gun confiscated. Mind you, I knew nothing about this until he was taken in custody nor did his mom who was at work at that time. The police confiscated the firearm and notified me as the legal owner. I put in a claim and was able to eventually get it back. That’s when I found he had cut the ring that the lock attached to on the case. Fortunately nobody was injured. Sometimes despite your best intentions older kids especially can make really stupid decisions and carry them out… I suspect that OP’s wife doesn’t want to admit that her son screwed up so badly and is transferring all the blame on OP. After all she had equal responsibility in raising their son and it’s easier to blame someone else than to accept your share of the blame. By the way, let son use a public defender - His screw up, his problem.

No matter how reasonable you seem to be, the simple fact that you are ready to kill someone shows us why civilians shouldn’t have guns at home.

Take responsibility for your actions and that of your offspring. Get rid of the guns and the gun safe. Have your kid take responsibility and take what ever deal the D.A offers and get him some help.

Well yes. You have a gun so it's your fault

Read the first three syllables of your username and look in the mirror to find who to blame. Or like... a family picture

That's why I don't have kids. I don't know how old your son is, but I teach high schoolers and they make a lot of dumb decisions without thinking of the ramifications.