By insertfoothere - 18/07/2009 11:26 - United States

Today, after my son's new friend spent the night, I commented on how his hair had such a straight line in it from one ear to the other. I joked about how he must have fallen asleep with headphones on, or had bad hat hair. He informed me it was a scar from brain surgery he had when he was younger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 275
You deserved it 59 900

Same thing different taste

Top comments

awesomelylame 0

You didn't know. Just apologize once and that's all you can do.

He probably wasn't offended. I bet he has to explain that all the time anyway

Comments

why would you joke around like that with a kid anyways?!!! ydi you dumbass

yes yes. only discuss religion and politics with children. No jokes. Moron.

skiBOAT 0

iBimmer needs to get his dick out of his mouth. You can't go around saying "hurr well YDI for being alive." @OP, the bad hair day thing kinda made it harsh, but it's not that bad. I'm sure he didn't take it personally.

Kristoffer 35

F everyone who said "YDI" joking or not. If she had known about the scar, she wouldn't have commented on his hair.

o yeah she knew he had brain surgery even before she met him, and just decided to make fun of him. read the whole fml dumbass

lukewarmocha 0

wait - did your son tell you after the boy left? because in that case it's not too bad.

cxal_fml 0

I'm amazed at how many people brush this off as "perfectly okay because the kid probably didn't care." You don't know if he did or not - I know people in wheelchairs who make jokes about not walking. That doesn't mean that most people in wheelchairs will not be upset if someone comes up to them and starts making comments about how they can't walk. Brain surgery is no different. What if this kid needed brain surgery as a result of a car crash that killed both his biological parents, and he was old enough to remember the crash and his parents? What if the kid is still having nightmares because of the trauma of needing to be alert and talking during his brain surgery? You cannot say whether or not he didn't care - you have no way of knowing that. Saying that this kid probably didn't care, is like saying its not a big deal to make racist statements in front of Georgian Blacks because they hear them all the time and so probably don't care

liveitlearnit 0

I'm not sure if you and I are on the same page here. I believe what I read up there was a woman noticing something silly or funny-looking on a boy's hair. What you are suggesting is that there was some obvious abnormality that this woman was mocking or somehow bringing attention to in a negative manner. It was simply innocence, not ignorance, that let her make that mistake. As someone who has been in a very close relationship with someone with similar markings all over his body, I can say that this *could* be embarrassing to the boy, but not offensive. If he cared, that's sad for him, for not being able to cope and live his life. I agree that there is no way this was a YDI, because she didn't know. It's certainly not the same as laughing about cripples in front of a man in a wheelchair, or using racial slurs in front of the involved race.

cxal_fml 0

I didn't comment on the OP, I commented about all the ignorant assholes who are saying the "boy probably didn't are" when this is a type of surgery that often results in lifelong trauma. You have someone cut into your brain while you are required to be awake and talking to them, and see if you don't experience repercussions later in life. Especially if you weren't first adaquately prepared for it, and its only in the past few years (around 2005) that children under 8 were widely given therapy before brain surgery because they were considered to "not be able to remember what happened." And thats only if it was a planned surgery and not the result of injury If this child had been raped at 7, would you say its fault he's upset when a man puts his arm around his waist for not being able to cope with life. Thats no different than what you just said about this kid having brain surgery.

you guys are dicks it's not like she knew about it.

ur a ******* dick it's none of ur ******* business. poor kid

if it's none of my business then it's none of yours either ******** go troll somewhere else.

kristaybaybay 0

okay, I'm like 90% sure i know this kid, hahaha.

littlemisslee 0

there is a guy with the same scar my husband works with. I met him at a party and noticed it, but I didn't say anything. when he left, I asked my husband if that's just a new fad going on (I've seen crazier things) and he told me he had surgery. good thing I kept my mouth shut, or I would have looked embarrased.