By secret meat - 21/06/2014 02:04 - United States - Framingham

Today, after being a vegetarian for 5 years, I found out that my boyfriend of 2 years has secretly been feeding me meat. His reason is that he thinks it's "funny" that I still call myself a vegetarian afterwards. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 939
You deserved it 9 851

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Shartie 16

Maybe you should meat a better boyfriend?

Put something horrible in his food. Or feed him Spam.

Comments

How do you not notice meat in your food?

#19. Lots of vegetarian meals have a lot of flavour and there is quite a few brands that make vegetarian products that look exactly like mince and chicken etc. but really it's made from fungus or tofu or whatever. I accidentally ate meat mince instead of my mince and I was completely disgusted when I found out and that was only one serving. If I was OP I would dump his ass and tell him to get some respect for other peoples choices!! Anyways I don't think most meat eaters would notice if we changed your mince to vegetarian mince

I had someone try it on me certain things can have meat extract or if you grind it up really good you can pass it off for cooked veggies mixed together

you know vegetarian means in old native American tongue? bad hunter

Well that's a dumb joke. Even if it miraculously were true, so what? Don't think any vegetarians would particularly care that they were bad at killing animals.

Did you know that's actually a lie? Not even you could kill an animal and digest it with your bare hands.

What are you even trying to say? Nobody digests anything with their hands. And plenty of people do kill their own meat with guns, bow and arrows, etc. It's not like you need to wrestle a deer to death with your bare hands in order to be a true meat eater.

Well there is not much you can do to get back at him so...id put lego in his shoes,that should work

I would dump his ass really. Being a vegetarian myself, I may be taking this a little personally, but if someone can't accept your own personal life choices, then he is not a good partner. But if you do decide to stay, slip a bit of saliva or something in his favorite meal and tell him that you found it funny when he said that the food was good.

I was going to day this same thing! I'd break up with him.

orsombre_fml 11

This is such a lack of respect, I feel for you OP. (By the way, I am not a vegetarian.)

My young niece hates vegetables so I cut them up real finely and hide them in her food. She doesn't notice and gets her daily veggies a tasty way. I'm sure it could go both ways with hiding meat in smaller portions. (:

6 years vegan myself, I wonder how you didn't know. the flavor & texture are pretty noticeable.

There are ways to make meatless dishes with the texture and taste like they have meat in them. Example: using cut up portobello mushrooms or even egg plant. Perhaps that's what the OP thought she was eating? Or she ate her vegetarian food that he cooked/prepared in bacon grease. It doesn't matter how it happened, just that it did and it is wrong!!

acerredrum 23

There are meat substitutes that have the texture of meat, if he used that and then just hid a little ground beef in that it would be damned well impossible to notice.

The fact that he is sabotaging your life choices sucks. However since it apparently didn't hurt you to eat meat, you should consider eating it in moderation anyway. Choose meats from local farms that do not use hormones and antibiotics and don't feed corn or soy based feeds, farms that partner with a local butcher, so the animals don't travel thousands of miles to centralized stockyards and slaughterhouses. This way you support humane treatment of the animals. And stay away from soy based products. Soy is the worlds most grown monoculture crop and probably accounts for more pesticide use and the extinction of species than any other food.

OP may not eat meat for ecological or environmental reasons but maybe for ethical reasons. It may not hurt her physically but mentally she may be hurt now that she knows.

I agree with the first part of your comment but how about let the OP decide what she wants to put in her body instead of telling her what you think she should or should do since it didn't "hurt" her?

It probably wouldn't *hurt* you physiologically if someone secretly cooked up a human body and pretended it was chicken, but that doesn't mean you should be okay with it and switch to becoming a cannibal.

Oh, and spend a huge amount of money to pay for the meats! That she doesn't even want to eat anyway.

78, do you honestly think eating a little beef now and then is comparable to cannibalism? Since she's only been a vegetarian for a few years, she clearly ate meat for a long time before, and I'm guessing that didn't traumatize her.

Yeah, in this situation they're comparable. A vegetarian may not want to eat meat for the same reasons most people don't want to eat other people -- because they would feel like they'd taken part in unnecessary death and/or think it's disgusting. Just because you're okay with a diet option doesn't mean everyone else is. Besides, how she felt about something at one point isn't how she has to feel about it the rest of her life. People change, grow, and make different life decisions. Other people, if they're decent, respect them whether or not they make the same ones.