For nice coworkers only

By squizzlebee - 24/02/2017 03:00 - United Kingdom - York

Today, I saw on Facebook that a friend left her job where I also used to work, as she posted a picture of her farewell gifts, including cards, balloons and cookies. Normally, I'd be happy for her, except when I left I was told they'd "stopped doing farewell presents", and as such, I'd got nothing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 539
You deserved it 745

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't think a work place should be obligated to give gifts to a departing employee, especially if they are leaving on bad terms or just aren't that impressed with their work.

Comments

you sure there wasn't a caption? Like, "Check out all this shit I stole from my dumbass ex-employers! Suck a dick, dumb *****!"

Sometimes to be polite, people hide behind policy rather than tell you the truth that they dislike you personally.

I don't think a work place should be obligated to give gifts to a departing employee, especially if they are leaving on bad terms or just aren't that impressed with their work.

Plus, it means nothing if they are only giving it to you because they have to.

I mean, it means a little bit more than not getting them anything.

I think the implication was OP didn't think they left on bad terms or that anyone was unimpressed with their work.

species4872 19

It might be kind of hard for them to do departing gifts for everyone that quits

If she's your friend you should be happy for her anyways and just forget about the gifts cuz I'm gonna guess you probably didn't just quit your job to get a departing gift

brew44 15

Same thing happened to me, I was one of the most productive people in the lab, but hardly anyone said goodbye on my last day.

species4872 19

They were probably relieved because you made them look bad.

I was going to say the opposite. They were probably pissed because they had to do more work now that she isn't there to fill the void.

You can be a great employee and still not have close personal relationships with your coworkers, maybe they just knew her better. Also it sounds like she worked there longer than you.

I worked there longer than she did actually, she started about a year after I did and I've only been gone 6 months