Tight ass friends

By cheese - 26/09/2013 21:31 - United States - Sun Prairie

Today, I summoned the courage to talk to my friends about the money they owe me for my photography services at their wedding. We had agreed on a fair price, but now they're pissed, claiming that I'm being selfish, and should consider it my wedding gift to them. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 674
You deserved it 5 470

Same thing different taste

Top comments

WompWompWomp123 7

Bring them a toaster and then ask for your money.

This is exactly why you NEVER lend your friends money or offer them your professional services. Especially if you're a prostitute.

Comments

Skyanne 11

Unfortunately, you should've had them sign something agreeing to pay the amount that you guys all decided upon. Still sucks tho, what greedy assholes. I bet they have 3 extra toasters they don't even need.

BriCx 8

By the sound of it, they would have been "offended" that OP would make them sign a contract. It would imply a lack of trust. Though in this case OP would have been right to assume they wouldn't pay, obviously.

OP, obviously they aren't very good friends if they are angry about giving you the money they owe. If they refuse to pay you, maybe you should get a lawyer.

Eh, people are too sue-happy these days. I'd say if there was nothing more than a verbal agreement than OP is kind of screwed in that department. If they try to sue I just see this turning into a bad episode of Judge Judy.

In most jurisdictions an oral contract is just as binding as a written one - the problem is proving what was agreed. On the other hand, they're not denying the agreent made, just saying that they should not have to pay. I'd file.

Yes people are very sue-happy now a days, but this is actually a valid case. They agreed on a price for the services & now the client doesn't want to pay saying it should be a gift. Pretty open & shut case.

TyT63 12

make the pictures "mysteriously" disappear

Just send a couple of guys to their house - Sopranos style

Its standard practice for photographers not to release the pictures until they are paid for their services. If you are a professional, you have done this and should not give them pictures they haven't paid for. Case closed. Either they want wedding pictures or they don't.

graceinsheepwear 33

I'm betting OP already released the pictures in good faith.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

That is depending on if these friends are actually responsible to pay OP back because of said expensive wedding. From their reaction, I wouldn't get my hopes up to be honest. If they are trying to pull the awful wedding gift card which doesn't apply to them, they never had intentions of wanting to pay OP off from the arranged agreement before the wedding happened. For all we know with how OP started this FML off, OP could have given them a lot of time to pay and they are refusing to do so. :(

wow that was one of the most thoughtful responses ive gotten on fml for a while

When planning a wedding th photographer is often included in that "thousands of dollars." Saying "give them time" is unfair to the photographer, they should have budgeted this into the wedding costs. Also, they told OP to consider it a wedding gift which means no matter how much time passes they won't pay.

And I'm betting that you already gave them $1,000 off which is WAY more than anyone else paid for a gift. Give them a full invoice with your deduction on it itemized as "gift."