The more you learn

By Anonymous - 19/03/2022 00:01

Today, I learned why my boyfriend always jokes that I'm 'autistic'. I thought it was just a strange inside joke. Turns out that he truly believes I'm a part of the 'special-education' community. Even worse, after a fair amount of research, I'm convinced he's right. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 261
You deserved it 268

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Congratulations. We're all cousins here, and that means we're family. Your boyfriend is being an ass if he's calling you that, and you don't need to feel like being neurodivergent makes you stupid or lesser--that's a Nazi\eugenics idea. You are wonderful as you are, and you need to love yourself.

The very idea that being neurodivergent being an FML is outdated and just rude honestly.

Comments

yahok 3

Since your apart of the community (nothing wrong about that as you imply in your “fml”) you should know the term “special” is out dated and you just look like a jerk.

To be fair, I think the implication is that the boyfriend used that term. Maybe I should add quotation marks.

The very idea that being neurodivergent being an FML is outdated and just rude honestly.

You did a "fair amount of research" and still decided to use that outdated and offensive term? Kindly, you need a lot more research. And that's fine. You don't know until you know, and hopefully you'll learn. Welcome to the neurodivergent community, there is nothing wrong with being here. I don't know why either of you would see this as a negative.

Pinkdahlia75 1

There's nothing wrong with autism. Your jerk of a boyfriend on the other hand.

Congratulations. We're all cousins here, and that means we're family. Your boyfriend is being an ass if he's calling you that, and you don't need to feel like being neurodivergent makes you stupid or lesser--that's a Nazi\eugenics idea. You are wonderful as you are, and you need to love yourself.

Anyone else remember the days when "retarded" was the official and respectful term for people with mental health issues? Seems so silly to me that whatever the current word is it changes every 10 years or so because the offensiveness of the condition eventually stains the word we use to define it. I wouldn't worry about it, autistic is a stupidly broad term ranges from people who just don't like big groups to people who are completely incapable of taking care of themselves. It's only a problem it it prevents you from getting what you want.

Even if you are that doesn't change who you are.