Thanks

By elipses - 22/08/2009 04:43 - Canada

Today, I got a report telling me how I had handled a mystery shopper at work. In this report, I found out that instead of saying, "Thank you" I'd said, "Have a nice day, take care." This kept me from getting a $150 bonus. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 308
You deserved it 3 010

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ah mystery shopper, the bane of any retail workers life. My employer is just as stupid. Things like 'bye bye'=wrong but 'bye'=good. Stupid company.

Shelbyvillain 0

aaagh, mystery shoppers. Hate them.

Comments

visage 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Well thanks for contributing to the fact that most retail employees are drones forced to stick to the tightest of scripts, really makes things more interesting.

Oh man! She deviated from the guidelines! *gasp* It's almost like she was being sincere instead of a robot! Holy crap what a concept! People like you are just douchebags. Who gives a shit if she didn't say the exact line on Page 6-Paragraph D-Subsection E-Line 17 of the company handbook? She was being nice and considerate. I'd rather have an employee come up to me and NOT spout the same line over and over just because they're afraid i'm a mystery shopper and will dock them $150 because they didn't say the correct line.

Mystery shoppers suck. It's funny that they don't have to be qualified or tested to be a mystery shopper. I've had a few so far that have been the CEO types of shoppers (if you don't know the different types of shoppers then you don't work retail). Anyways it's fun trying to do the "script" for the company that is pushing the mystery shopper and having to deal with his/her arrogance and usually idiotic behavior to basically sell nothing to a non-customer. Yeah so glad that I have to please this "customer" yet they can act as immature as they want and know that they don't have to buy a thing in the store. Talk about a waste of time and money.

Maddoctor 10

Hey visage, you know the little "thumbs up, thumbs down" buttons on the top right of each comment? I pushed the thumbs. How come? You know the guidelines of FML commenting, and deviated from them. Sorry, but you deserved it.

citycrazed25 0

NOMAD, soooo true they come into my job all the time asking stupid random questions that keep you talking for about 20 min then they dont buy anything and it just feels like a waste of time. They come in my job and do the same thing every time they are by thier selves and come up with some story that they are with like 5 people and they always only talk to 2 people. Sometimes i avoid these people but sometimes i like to take a challege and since i kno who they are half the time im ready for them....ha

Princesschronic 0

It's wasn't a raise it was a bonus. Totally different, and um mystery shoppers are normaly assholes they really don't care about u they just wanna get paid them selves. Ya, it's a shot economy but u gotta look at for you that's all re bitch was doing. I ****** hate them.

It hurts! I gave an honest effort to read that, and I have no clue what you said.

ImInMiamiTrick 0

i know how you feel. i got deducted points because i didn't offer a suggestive sale to another customer after the mystery shopper was done. the lady was wearing an oxygen mask ... life is a bitch .

And if they're currently going to college and using this to help pay for college...?

or not old enough to go/not out of high school^

Seriously! Secret shoppers SUCK! They usually dock us off for the cracks in the sidewalk. Its like, wow, do you want me to take my jacket off and cover them so you don't have to walk on them? They're cracks not CRATERS! oh and the worst thing is when a secret shopper acts like they're in a hurry, so you try to help them get out of the store in a timely matter aka skip the upsell bullshit....and then get in big trouble. We get written up where I work if we don't upsell. Retarded for a gas station. :/ I've missed at least $500 worth of bonuses from not upselling ;-;

Cracks in the sidewalk are the stores fault, according to most customers. I got in trouble because I didn't know how to help the woman with how to get them fixed. I just told her that she should contact public works and they would take care of it. Apparently, I should have fixed the sidewalk myself, though.

Maddoctor 10

Actually Thugbert, I'd base my opinion on what kind of Visitor's Center citycrazed works at. Kangaroo island is based in Australia, and citycrazd lives in the U.S.. If it wasn't an international type of visitor's center, they were doing their job just fine.

Maddoctor 10

Mmm, awesome, another one of my comments ended up in the worng place...cool.

BikerMike 0

some of those big box stores will do anything to save a few bucks. you could have said thank you in a very sarcstic tone

Haha by the sounds of the company, I bet you work at Gymboree lol they're the worst

that so sucks. these days, what you said is a perfectly polite way of disengaging from a customer.

I worked at a happy harrys once. Most shoppers there were crack addicts, and i would "thank them" by growling and telling them to go away.

how do you know this is a retail instance? food and bev have mystery shoppers too. but we never got bonuses for passing. we just didn't get fired.

fyl, Some companys are just generic like that and don't like tone variety between the customer and the employee. And I would hope that the company come to terms with the fact that saying one standard line takes the authenticity away from the customer service which you are providing.