Overachiever

By Is he stupid? - 26/12/2023 08:00 - United States

Today, due to being stressed and overwhelmed by my tasks, I made a mistake and completed a few of my colleagues' tasks as well. When I informed my boss about it, he said that I did an outstanding job, but I shouldn't have messed with other people's documents. As a result, my promised raise is cancelled. FML
I agree, your life sucks 609
You deserved it 148

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There is one more consideration… If OP did all the work well he was expected to do plus additional work then boss is an A-hole. If OP did something else instead of the tasks expected of him, then OP screwed up big time… Whenever possible, be sure you understand what is expected of you in your job. Ask questions to be sure. You always get rated on how well you do the things assigned to you, not so much on extra work you take on.

Comments

Lffayen 3

I would say this really depends on what kind of work you do, but it feels like maybe doing their work as well could cut into their own billable hours and cut some of their pay depending on available end of year workload. That would be the only reason I could think of for denying a pay raise.

Or the boss has a bonus for keeping the salaries of his crew low, like in a Dilbert cartoon.

HouseOfM 8

It's great that they did a fantastic job. However, the fact that they weren't paying attention that they were completing. Someone else's work has not gone unnoticed and is probably a concern for management.

There is one more consideration… If OP did all the work well he was expected to do plus additional work then boss is an A-hole. If OP did something else instead of the tasks expected of him, then OP screwed up big time… Whenever possible, be sure you understand what is expected of you in your job. Ask questions to be sure. You always get rated on how well you do the things assigned to you, not so much on extra work you take on.

Your boss is totally right. Working hard is not an excuse to cause a mess. If you touched other people documents without your permission you screwed up