Thanks

By Anonymous - 07/11/2015 13:02 - Canada - Surrey

Today, while walking to work with my best friend, he broke down in tears. I asked what was wrong, and he told me his mom passed away last night. All I could think to do was give him a hug and say I was sorry. Then some assclown walking past said "GAAAYYY!" and walked away laughing hysterically. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 493
You deserved it 1 698

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Talis99 26

This is what's wrong in our culture. No one, especially men, can show emotion and affection anymore without being labeled as "homosexual" or "pervert" or "pedophile". OP, ignore it. You were being a good friend and I'm sure your friend appreciated it.

serslybro 20

You were just trying to be a good friend. People can be so immature...

Comments

You did the right thing OP. Ignore the immature people

When two girls hug, no one bats an eyelid. When two boys hug, everyone loses their minds.

why is it always the people with the least emotional investment that make the FMLs?

What an awful thing to say. Especially to somebody crying and clearly in emotional pain in the middle of the street. What is wrong with people these days?!

Hey, well at least you did the right thing :)

His Mom passed away last night and he's off to work today and his best friend who works with him doesn't know of it. What's wrong with your western people.

You don't always have a choice but to work the next day...not if you want to keep your job and do crazy things like pay rent. No one likes it, and he clearly wasn't ready, but it is a fact of life (in the US anyway). And some people just don't like to broadcast their personal stuff at work - I know I don't.

It's sad but true in a lot of cases. In America most companies treat their employees like shit; it is possible though that he just wanted to work to take his mind off of it. My grandma died a week before Christmas a few years ago. I worked that week because it was so busy that it was mind numbing and I could stop missing her for a moment. I currently work for a company that dose offer grievance pay thank god. My grandpa has been slowly dying for a year. It's a comfort to know the company will give me 4 days with pay to mourn. That's a first in 10 years of working.

It's not about stereotyping. The gay comment didn't bother me, there'll always be someone doing such idiotic things. The other things seemed very strange to me, and the fact that no one bothered to talk about it.

even if u were gay, that shouldnt be a problem. and seriously? all because you show care and emotion youre gay? homophobia ans sexism, i mean seriously, its the 21st century, move on

Anyone who said "You deserved it" should be hit by a bus

Why would someone go to work the day after their mother passed away?

He may have no choice, right now if my friends mom passed away, he would have to go to work, he would have no choice as he is working 7 days a week and is barely making ends meet. OPs friend could be in the same situation.