Stunned silence

By Anonymous - 20/12/2014 22:42 - United Kingdom - Cambridge

Today, my 7 year-old daughter loudly asked in the middle of a supermarket, "Mummy, what's a cunt?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 172
You deserved it 3 901

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When I was two I shouted "OH ****" when I couldn't find something in the fridge. I then told my mom I only said that when I was frustrated. Evidently I had picked up something from my dad getting pissed off at another driver. Kids just know when someone's cursed.

Shemp_5 14

Just tell her its a made up word that doesnt mean anything. Works every time for me with my little cousins

Comments

If you're the one using language like that in your house, you totally deserve that. F her life

Don't be so quick to judge, she may have picked it up somewhere else.

He said "IF you're the one using the language"

My immediate response would calmly be "where did you learn That word?" (if you don't jump down her throat she's likely to tell you) and then explain that's not a word we use because it means something bad that makes people mad. If she responds she learned it from OP, then that's a big look in the mirror to OP and could serve as guidance to watch her mouth around her kid.

seemo82 19

IF she was the one who said it .. she wouldnt have been posting it here in FML

Kid might have heard OP say it (kids pick up a lot sitting in the back seat during rush hour), and OP might not have realized. OR maybe OP says it periodically without thinking. And she was embarrassed her kid said it in public. if she didn't hear it from OP then OP needs to figure out who the hell is saying stuff like that in front of her kid.

Hey now, i didn't say the kid definitely picked it up from her mom. I'm just saying, like the others, that it's more likely that she picked it up at home. But in the event that she didn't, OP will have to find out where and do something about it.

People, this is from England. '****' is usually a child's first word over there.

No, the people in England say **** about as often as every other cuss word combined.

Let's not pretend like none of us accidentally swear in front of people we shouldn't. Sometimes it slips.

Really? I thought Aussies would be a little more creative when it comes to cussing.

40 - we definitely don't. It's becoming slightly more popular as people become desensitised but I still only have a few certain friends who use it more than occasionally. Or sometimes it's mixed with other words to play it down (like cuntmuffin or cockwomble). It's still a pretty bad word though.

Can I just say I love your profile pic (^_^)

USA1776 15

Always that one comment on every FML

#50 we are, but we call our mates *****, and call strangers mate

ihavenolifehaha 16

She doesn't know any better.. Give her a break

badluckalex 23

true, but where in the hell for she hear this

that's exactly why OPs response should have been (and maybe it was) to calmly ask where she learned it. The kid is legitimately asking because she heard it somewhere and wants to know. It's up to the parent to find out where she's hearing this. And to explain it's not a word she should say.

Children can be so precocious sometimes.

'****' was actually my very first swear word when I was very little. True story

Shemp_5 14

Just tell her its a made up word that doesnt mean anything. Works every time for me with my little cousins

That's what I said when my mom asked me what twat meant.

Just tell her it's a swear-word. Problem solved... For about 5 years.

No way then she won't feel like it is a bad word and she might repeat it somewhere else. That's a bad plan bro it has a high chance of backfire.

I'm guessing you're not a parent, milehigh. If you make a big deal out of it, the child will learn that is a good way to get attention. If you are calm and just give a one sentence explanation, the word will be forgotten by the next candy display.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

it's a bad word, don't say it again

If I were the kid, this is the cue for me to say it again and again.

@13 that's what parenting is for so you would learn not to say it again or there are repercussions.

@13 EXACTLY! I got punished SO many times, but it never stopped me.

xivoricbutterfly 25

""You will know when you're older"

i hated that. cause i knew i would forget and i didn't know what age was "older"

badmandilon 19

#6, "You will know it when you're older and a bully say it to you, and another kid let you know the meaning of the offense". As a good parent I wouldn't wait until she finds out by herself the wrong way when you can explain it in a better way instead.

Haha.Sorry to hear that OP.Kids are funny that way.I would however like to hear your answer to that. :)

When I was two I shouted "OH ****" when I couldn't find something in the fridge. I then told my mom I only said that when I was frustrated. Evidently I had picked up something from my dad getting pissed off at another driver. Kids just know when someone's cursed.

SingleMom_of_2 5

Why would any one say OP deserved it? I have a two year old and watch my mouth we use froggy for f**k and poop for the s word. She still knows cuss words and it is embarrassing when she says it in public. OP didn't deserve it at all.

I use "firetruck" when there's kids around, starts with f and ends in uck

Agreed. Besides that, it's amazing what some kids are taught/ overhear these days and end up teaching other kids in school.

SingleMom_of_2 5

I think firetruck is a good idea