Neither a borrower nor a lender be

By Taty - 14/04/2021 14:00

Today, my friend won’t pay me back the money I lent her. I stupidly lent her $1200. She’s calling me an “inconsiderate bitch” because I “have a good paying job, I’ll be alright.” FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 102
You deserved it 248

Same thing different taste

Top comments

My parents once said to me when I was younger “lent money is lost money”, which is why I rarely ever lend money to anyone, including my kids.

This is why you keep your job and financial status on the low from most people. Your friend used you. Arguably stole from you too. Never lend her money again and keep your business on the low. Hell I'll lie saying I'm barely able to keep a roof over my head. Act semi-destitute OP.

Comments

My parents once said to me when I was younger “lent money is lost money”, which is why I rarely ever lend money to anyone, including my kids.

small claims court...its not like your "friend" can afford a lawyer

No lawyers usually at small claims court. Even if OP goes that route, she would still be in the same situation she is in now, which is getting the money back, just if she did, she would get back the initial amount plus court costs. The difference though, is the “friend” would have a judgement for the $1200 appearing on the credit reports, which could screw the “friend” when the friend tries to get an apartment, vehicle, or any other type of credit.

This is why you keep your job and financial status on the low from most people. Your friend used you. Arguably stole from you too. Never lend her money again and keep your business on the low. Hell I'll lie saying I'm barely able to keep a roof over my head. Act semi-destitute OP.

If you can't afford to lose it, don't loan it. Even if someone swears they'll pay you back, you should still assume that it's a gift. That way, if they pay you back, that's fine, but if they don't, you can't be surprised.

never lend money you need to have back. I learned that lesson the hard way too

Looks like the trick of lending money to a person to see her disappear from your life didn't work this time.

DrSamba1 8

That trick works with $20. At $1200 it starts getting expensive. If you really want to pay money to get rid of a friend, it might be cheaper to hire a hit man. And no, I don't actually recommend that.

Don't loan money you can't afford to lose. You can try small claims court, however if the friend didn't sign something or told you that over text

Stargazers 3

Take her to court, get a judgment and you will get your money eventually.