Social parasites

By wasp infestation - 03/10/2016 04:54 - United States - Aurora

Today, the owner of the house I'm renting said he doesn't want to pay $4000 to fumigate the home, and that he'll take care of the issue himself. I have killed 30 angry wasps in the last hour. There are thousands living in the walls, but I think their favorite place is my bathroom and my bed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 525
You deserved it 1 022

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe sit down with all the wasps and find the source of their anger, maybe their parents weren't there for them, maybe they were bullied in wasp school, a conversation is all you need so nobody else has to get hurt.

Does your contract cover pest control, or is there a state requirement for landlords to provide it for certain murderous pests? If so you might have a case to bring it up or allow you to break your lease and move somewhere else.

Comments

Become a super awesome ninja wasp trainer and get them to make you tea and stuff.

in Colorado this is group ds for suit against the landlord and they can not kick you out for filing suit. this is serious I would immediately inform him if he doesn't get the home fumigated you will be filing against him. this is a health hazard and to be taken very serious. at least some people recognize that and don't make fun of that fact, the ones that do make fun are complete idiots and jacka$$€$

species4872 19

Jacka$$€$ here, this is after all fml not a rental arbitration board.

Try one of those insect traps you get from Home Depot. It is basically a clear plastic quart bottle with an instruction label and a yellow screw-on top. You can put some soda inside, or rotten fruit or meat. The wasps go in but they can't come out. I eradicated a small colony before it became a large one.

Have you tried asking the wasps to pay rent?

Go to the city in which you live and explain the situation. Put your rent in escrow. He will not legally be allowed to evict you, and he will not be able to collect his rent from the city unless he can prove that he professionally and properly took care of the problem.

In Nevada, if your landlord does not supply a liveable location (doors that lock, no pests, working water, etc), you are not obligated to pay rent. Perhaps Colorado has something similar.

Well, if that doesn't scream cheap slumlord nothing does... OP, I hope you're able to get it taken care of at little or no cost to you. Best of luck!

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Time to explore your legal options.

Read up on tenant rights. If he's not going to take care of it timely and properly (aka if he's not a licensed exterminator) you have every right to hire one and deduct it from your rent (again if tenant law allows)