Social parasites

By wasp infestation - 03/10/2016 04:54 - United States - Aurora

Today, the owner of the house I'm renting said he doesn't want to pay $4000 to fumigate the home, and that he'll take care of the issue himself. I have killed 30 angry wasps in the last hour. There are thousands living in the walls, but I think their favorite place is my bathroom and my bed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 525
You deserved it 1 022

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe sit down with all the wasps and find the source of their anger, maybe their parents weren't there for them, maybe they were bullied in wasp school, a conversation is all you need so nobody else has to get hurt.

Does your contract cover pest control, or is there a state requirement for landlords to provide it for certain murderous pests? If so you might have a case to bring it up or allow you to break your lease and move somewhere else.

Comments

I'd be moving out. Especially after the movie I saw as a kid about killer bees and this family being trapped in their house, trying to find a way out alive......

Dranwyn 5

I'm pretty sure that by law, the landlord has to take care of the problem. Pest clauses in leases usually only apply to stuff like fleas, ants, and roaches. In the way that those tend to be the fault of the tenant rather than the landlord. This is something that would make it legal to break your lease and move elsewhere.

Usually they have to take care of that kind of stuff by law

pretty sure landlords have a legal obligation to deal with that shit.

Definitely check out your tenant rights for your area. Most places require that the landlord keep the location livable, which would include things like pest control, fixing electrical and plumbing issues, broken windows, etc. If this is the case, notify your landlord that you are aware of your rights and you'll expect the issue to be solved within 72 hours and if not, you'll be contacting a pest control company and taking the cost out of your rent payments. Then, I'd look for another place to live anyway because he won't be a happy camper.

Know your rights, landlord has No choice to fumigate.

If it's a safety issue (which I would consider that a safety issue) then they should legally have to fix it and pay for you to be somewhere else while they do. I would threaten to report them because that is not okay

Great. The only two places where you can be alone.

you really should not care , its the owners responsibility, sue him elsewise.

jekyllf 13

In a lot of places, you can put your rent money into escrow, basically paying your rent into an account your landlord can't touch unless he takes the actions necessary to get the property up to code. Not sure about how one goes about setting up such a thing though.