Slippery slope

By ur_life_dus_suck - 21/01/2016 13:08 - United States - Wayne

Today, my mom celebrated a year's sobriety by having a couple of beers with her boyfriend. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 251
You deserved it 1 699

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Time to start to count again, day one.

Congrats on her year of sobriety, I guess.

Comments

hipposteve 21

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;  courage to change the things I can;  and wisdom to know the difference.

hamrtym 15

Amen. Keep coming back it works if you work it and you're worth it!

TeacherTeacher 11

Next time tell her to celebrate after 2 years.

katina1236 20

I don't think she understands the term 'sobriety' looks like she gets to start over at day 1 all over again. On the upside she made it one year she can do it again.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

How many times do people have to say it? It doesn't matter if she got wasted, one drink can make a recovering alcoholic relapse. How hard is that for anyone to understand?

Keeping it under wraps is considered being a functional alcoholic. Which means you're wasted all the time! But are putting up a solid front. This is not a good thing.

She's an alcoholic dumbass she can't keep it under wraps one is TOO MUCH. God how are there still idiots like you wandering around.

leogachi 15

@40 Actually, you don't have to be wasted all the time to be a functional alcoholic. My grandfather was an alcoholic for 30+ years, but rarely got drunk because his body was so used to consuming 3 forty ounce beers a day.

I know right, apparently we're dealing with a particularly irritating group of stupid people. How in this day and age do people not understand something so prevalent in our society that almost every family alive can boast at least one confirmed addict in their family. What baffles me is the comments like this one or one before where it's like oh 5-10% alcohol isn't really alcohol and tradition states you could have the odd drink or the other one where the idiot girl thought one drink was fine if kept under control, being the operative word seeing as though addicts lack all control, hence why they're addicts. There is simply no excuse for this type of ignorance in 2016. It's time these idiots put down the remote control, and turn off the KarTRASHians and pick up a book and read it, preferably one that is educational. As someone who has dealt with addicts her whole life I'm so irritated by these comments because if we approached addiction and recovery by their opinions no one would ever become sober.

Badkarma4u 17

What baffles me is you dont know anything about OP, his mom, or her situation, and you have already put her in a 12 step program.

Nobody knows what this woman's situation was. People that stop drinking are not automatically alcoholics. Maybe she just wanted to set a personal goal not to drink for a year, she did it, and so she wanted to celebrate. A lot of people jumping to a lot of conclusions here.

Badkarma4u 17

As long as she has learned moderation.

An alcoholic does not simply learn moderation. I advise you to read the replies to the remarkably dense comments above that very closely resemble the remarkably dense comment you submitted.

Badkarma4u 17

There are plenty, and I do mean plenty of people who drank heavily at one time in their life that have since learned moderation. This is a fact. You dont know OP's mother, or her situatiom. You simplly created a worst case scneario in your own head and assumed it applies to everyone. I can assure you. You WILL in your own life, know people that will go from heavy binge drinkers to social drinkers, if they even drink at all. It happens all the time. Some people can learn moderation. Some cannot. It depends on their situation, I wont paint everyone with the same brush.

"Heavy drinker" and "alcoholic" are not interchangeable terms. Alcoholics cannot learn moderation. Inability to moderate is what gets so many people into alcoholism to begin with.

Well, if she was able to be sober for a year, guess she learnt to control her urge to drink all the time. One can only hope.

The purpose of sobriety is to practice it every day without relapsing. One year doesn't matter now because she's flushed that work and time down the toilet. Addicts lack the ability to understand and practice moderation, and being sober has nothing to do with moderation it has to do with recognizing your addiction and deciding that day to not indulge your addiction. You can only approach recovery one day at a time and each day the addict has to decide and choose to be sober so therefore moderation is irrelevant.

redheadedmonster 24

While it's not the way to celebrate and her boyfriend isn't helping. I agree with #9. Just keep supporting your mom. Remind her hey if you made if one year I know you can make it longer! It'll be hard and there's no guarantee she'll stop but maybe next time she will. Good luck OP.

zeffra13 31

This FML really depends on whether OP's mom was really an alcohol addict or stopped drinking because of personal/health/other reasons.

Typically people don't celebrate sobriety because of health or personal reasons. I don't go around saying "2 years sober!" Even though I don't drink for health reasons.