By mirrorfad - 29/01/2010 05:49 - France

Today, my mum got upset with me for getting my first hangover ever after being of legal drinking age for over 6 years. She is a closet alcoholic in denial who hides red wine bottles around the house. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 533
You deserved it 3 242

Same thing different taste

Top comments

vermillionlove 0

She just doesn't want you to end up like her I guess P:

lendmeyourteeth 0

you still live with your mum at 27/24? jus blike at least im not an alcoholic bitch

Comments

lendmeyourteeth 0

you still live with your mum at 27/24? jus blike at least im not an alcoholic bitch

yes, because every country adapts the american laws. Good thinking

They said 27 or 24... They were taking into consideration other countries drinking ages and most countries have a drinking age or either 18 or 21.

And in most European countries the legal drinking age is very low, in particular France and Italy.

Actually, in Belgium and The Netherlands you're allowed to drink alcoholic beverages lower than 15% at the age of 16 and higher at 18. I thought the same went for France and Italy, since I never noticed anything different while on vacation there.

boatkicker 4

Yep, it is the same in Italy, and also in Greece.

cookies_for_you 0

In France it used to be that you could buy wine/ beer at sixteen and spirits at eighteen, but it's changed so you have to be eighteen to buy alcohol now.

BrownSugar_fml 5

She's not an alcoholic! She's a wine enthusiast! Anyone notice that she was upset about the hangover, not the actual drinking? Maybe she expected her son to hold his liquor better. hehe

It's 18 in Belgium regardless of what you're drinking, as it is in the majority of countries in Europe.

#14 Holland is 16 Your mother only wants the best for you and doesnt want you to become like her. I think

#36, that's what I was thinking. She was upset he couldn't hold his liquor and had a hangover, not that he was drinking.

That's nice 78. It doesn't change the fact that MOST countries are 18 or 21.

"Closet alcoholic in denial"? Use one or the other, not both.

CableX17 0

@89- Both were necesarry. Closet alcoholic could simply mean shes hiding that fact from the world, but in denial also tells you that not only is she secretly an alcoholic, but she has also convinced herself that she really isn't. Get it?

actually the US is the only country that's 21 the rest of the world is mostly 18 or 16 with exeptions

vermillionlove 0

She just doesn't want you to end up like her I guess P:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And alcoholism is often thought to be hereditary. FYL but she probably was only mad out of concern for you.

I thought that too. Or maybe she was drunk. :O

I'm on here whenever I'm working, so close enough. I have a very poor work ethic.

He doesn't necessarily live with her, maybe he just had to go to her house, or vice versa, the next day. Or maybe he does live with her, I'll never know. By the way, what the hell does OP stand for? I know it refers to the poster, but can't seem to get an answer for what it means.

Wow. That should have been common sense lol. Thank you anyway.

Ah you can't play with a unicorn that has been hanging with clint eastwood or mr t he's a crazy fool

blinkingstarlet 15

happy pap lay off the crack before you post. thanks.

She's just trying to make you not end up like her. Although I am under 21, unfortunatly my family has a history of this. Thank god not my mother and father, but older generations that have died off from both sides. :( So I may just try to avoid achohol all together. Please, for the sake of humanity, listen to your mother and father!

bridgette5866 0

Exactly! Maybe she was trying to help you out. If anything, you can return the favor and help her with her alcoholism.

she just doesn't want you to end up like her..

well tell her to go **** herself if she can't see that she's a drunk than you need to take her to rehab there's nothin worse than a drunk who denise it

Rehab only works if the addict actually realises they have a problem, and wants to beat it. If she's in denial there's absolutely no point her being in rehab. Maybe collecting a week's worth of bottles and confronting her with them might shock her into realising she's out of control, she probably doesn't even realise how much she drinks.

Is it me or does FML keep on closing up posts so you can't comment on them? OP, FYL. You go ahead a drink (:. As long as you keep your drinking under control aka don't get hooked.