Scheißleben

By LearnGeographyUSA - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States - Kirkland

Today, and for the past 13 months, I've been living in the States. I've been called a Nazi, asked if we have electricity in Germany, and been made fun of the way I speak with my "German accent", the list goes on. I'm not even German, I'm Danish. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 107
You deserved it 2 965

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Laugh at their ignorance. Or agree with their Nazi joke and let them know they could be next.

I guess, when you moved to America, you did Nazi that coming.

Comments

skyeyez9 24

I like hearing different accents. Its a nice change to hear an "exotic voice."

You should've come to Australia. I don't hear much stupid stuff here.

I'm Swiss and people call me a nazi for being able to speak German, even though its a requirement in Switzerland and I go to a German school in the states. People are just dumb

Don't sweat it. People are assholes. I'm indian, american born, play football, patriotic and i still get shit for 9/11.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

I'm sorry to hear that. Most information about foreigners comes from TV. And the few European countries covered include UK, France, Italy, Ireland. Spain, and Germany. Everybody else is a mystery. Anybody from the Eastern Bloc is assumed to be Russian. Scandinavians are mistaken for Germans due to linguistic similarities and little understanding of the differences. You speak Spanish you're Mexican especially in the South. Up North you might be Puerto Rican. And those are the breaks. You have to keep in mind in the United States you can go from the West Coast to the East Coast and never need to know another language. If you travel the same distance in Europe you will cross through several countries where lack of understanding of foreign languages would be a serious hindrance. The most people in the U.S. traveling to foreign countries are the wealthy to upper middle class, a small amount of college kids, and children with foreign parents. Going to another country in Europe is like going to another state for us. The only exception to that rule is Canada (which is similar to the United States) and Mexico if you want to speak another language so as long as you're going North, East, or West three quarters of the major cardinal directions you don't necessarily need to know a foreign language. If you want to enlighten those who misunderstand you let them know you're Danish and making negative assumptions about someone is rude. People don't learn if you don't teach them.

KiddNYC1O 20

German accents are cool. Why'd you leave Happyland(Denmark), anyways?

I do apologize for my countrymen and women. It seems here in California it is especially bad. When I graduated from high school California had the best schools in the country, but now we're the worst, except for Mississippi. As we say thank g_d for Mississippi. Although, I've traveled a bit and I'm sometimes amazed how ignorant of North American history some Europeans can be. The real problem here is that, for some unknown reason, we decided everybody had a right to an education, no matter how inferior. So, we started dumbing down the curriculum until everybody could pass including the extremely stupid and disruptive students. I think in European schools those who aren't going to make it, cooperate in their own education, or disrupt the education of others are weeded out early and then learning can happen. And, if you ask any of us Jews we remember the Danes and how they tried to protect our people from the Nazis. So Danes are high on my list, except for Soren Kierkegaard, I can't stand him. I'd rathe be stuck in a elevator with a dozen logical positivists that one existentialist.