**** equity investors

By Shenita House - 31/10/2023 05:48

Today, after I was gentrified out of my rent-controlled San Francisco apartment on June 1st by speculators, which I could only afford because of the rent control, I haven’t been able to find a new place yet. I've been living in hotels off a small settlement, but money ran out last week so now I’m on the streets. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 369
You deserved it 348

justme415 tells us more.

LOL Great advice. You are so wise. ooops, sorry, I meant you’re a miserable, unpleasant, hateful person. But yeah, if you must know, 1) the rent control started 30 years ago, way before and had nothing at all to do with COVID, 2) I am disabled and on a fixed, severely limited income and have been looking for another place I can afford the for 14 years (the entire time I’ve lived in this place), 3) even still, I spend the majority of every day job hunting, so far with no success. it literally take less than 3 minutes to post an FML, I assume from your comment that you never take any breaks at your job, and (4) the eviction was gentrification. the new owners of the building took it off the rental market so they can rent it out again after 4 years at a much higher rent (they specifically have a history of doing it to other buildings) and 5) there’s a government program that provides free cell phone and service, including data, to low-income people. So in the words of tRump who it’s apparent you’re a supporter of, suck it (my words) you nasty woman (tRumps words).

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks OP. Hope you can get some housing help soon. Ignore the other comments. Obviously they don't realise that mobile phones are cheaper to own and run than renting an apartment in a lawless overpriced rental market.

@Taurus_ChicKa, @Billsonhamsen - There's so much that is unbelievably offensive with what you two said, FML admins would ban me for what I want to say. Therefore, I will simply say that you're both lamentably uninformed.

Comments

How are you able to access the Internet if you're on the streets? If you're using a phone, how do you afford one of those if you're on the streets? Unless you're using a public library or something... anyway, you had to have known that rent control wouldn't last forever. It began because of Covid and always said that it would end at some point. You should have been preparing for it. And instead of going on FML, perhaps use the Internet to look for jobs?

I don't know about San Francisco specifically but in general rent control has a much longer history than covid. I agree with you though that OP he needs to get her act together. We can't be taken care of by other people for our entire lives. Rent control on its face is a terrible idea and the deeper you dig the worse it gets. That City set itself up for failure years ago. In fact there's a huge possibility that OP and most people on FML voted for the policies that gave us the housing crisis that we have right now.

@Taurus_ChicKa, @Billsonhamsen - There's so much that is unbelievably offensive with what you two said, FML admins would ban me for what I want to say. Therefore, I will simply say that you're both lamentably uninformed.

Actually, I'd actually probably agree with you. Everyone knows that poverty = no phone, and that houselessness is not at all due to capitalism and landlords and gentrification. Tsk.

Do people honestly believe that the second you leave your apartment your phone and phone plan magically vanish?

Rent control leads to higher rent prices and worse houses. Developers can't make money selling cheaper houses but there is an exception for luxury houses/apartments. This means there is only luxury houses/apartments available. If you get kicked out of your rent controlled unit you literally have no place to go. As far as the cell phone goes that is just an example of what people are willing to spend money on other than rent but it could also be clothing or a car.

Oh and the free phone plan is paid for by me and other people who pay our own bills. It is a government program paid for by taxing normal cell phone users. You know what is funny is when I grew up everyone was concerned about urban sprawl. Now it never gets talked about. I think it is because laws were passed and taxes collected so it makes it expensive to build single family homes. This is why rent control is popular. People are not building enough apartments and houses anymore. In some neighborhoods new apartments are not even allowed.

Sorry, that's supposed to be suburban sprawl.

LOL Great advice. You are so wise. ooops, sorry, I meant you’re a miserable, unpleasant, hateful person. But yeah, if you must know, 1) the rent control started 30 years ago, way before and had nothing at all to do with COVID, 2) I am disabled and on a fixed, severely limited income and have been looking for another place I can afford the for 14 years (the entire time I’ve lived in this place), 3) even still, I spend the majority of every day job hunting, so far with no success. it literally take less than 3 minutes to post an FML, I assume from your comment that you never take any breaks at your job, and (4) the eviction was gentrification. the new owners of the building took it off the rental market so they can rent it out again after 4 years at a much higher rent (they specifically have a history of doing it to other buildings) and 5) there’s a government program that provides free cell phone and service, including data, to low-income people. So in the words of tRump who it’s apparent you’re a supporter of, suck it (my words) you nasty woman (tRumps words).

if you've been looking for housing for 14 years why the hell would you stay in San frNsisco? I'm from the bay and even I moved further out to find cheaper places. so many other rent controlled areas that are cheaper and you could have got a roommate to cut your costs even lower. San Fransisco is a shit hole and has been for close to 20 years. I know that because I'm from there lol

That sucks OP. Hope you can get some housing help soon. Ignore the other comments. Obviously they don't realise that mobile phones are cheaper to own and run than renting an apartment in a lawless overpriced rental market.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words! Namaste!