Running a company into the ground? Huh!

By DeniseK - 13/11/2022 12:00

Today, I found out my boss was quiet-firing me on purpose. Apparently, his daughter who works at this same company is pregnant now and needs a promotion. I have a Master’s and have been here for 9 years. She dropped out of college because it was “too hard” and the other day she put a metal spoon in the microwave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 089
You deserved it 74

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like labor laws would make this dodgy at best. Find an absolute shark of a lawyer and see if you’ve got any options.

Maybe you got an easy degree and she attempted a hard one and failed. Make copies of all relevant documents and secretly record all conversations with management (rules vary by location, so ask your employment lawyer how to gather admissible evidence.) Avoid HR and hire your own lawyer to represent you.

Comments

Sounds like labor laws would make this dodgy at best. Find an absolute shark of a lawyer and see if you’ve got any options.

Maybe you got an easy degree and she attempted a hard one and failed. Make copies of all relevant documents and secretly record all conversations with management (rules vary by location, so ask your employment lawyer how to gather admissible evidence.) Avoid HR and hire your own lawyer to represent you.

It depends on just how badly you want to stay in this particular job… While what boss is doing may well be illegal, do you really want to work for someone like this? While you are correct that this is wrong and probably illegal, once an employer decides they no longer want a particular employee working for them, it’s usually only a matter of time until they find an excuse to lay you off or fire you… Many states in the USA have “at will” employment laws that give employers the right to fire anyone for any or even no reason. But sometimes to avoid potential problems and the expense with firing or laying someone off, they just make the life of a particular employee miserable in hopes they will quit. That’s usually what “quiet firing” means… It won’t be cheap to pursue the legal route. And often managers and business owners within an industry talk to each other and nobody wants to hire someone who has sued their previous employer… OP, you need to be realistic - Is this particular job worth fighting over and potentially either being fired or laid off at the very next layoff anyway? Sometimes life gives you a shit sandwich and you don’t get to choose what you really want. Personally, I suggest not quitting right now but actively look for a new job. If you find one as good or better then you get to quit and later boss will suffer from having a less than competent employee who he can never fire.

Nothing wrong with putting a spoon in the microwave. In some cases it's even recommended. If you don't believe me, elektroboom made a nice video about it.

One word: Lawsuit. Two more words: Wrongful termination. I absolutely despise people like that... both the boss and his dumb kid.