By Stressed - 24/09/2018 22:00

Today, I got promoted. By promoted, I mean, given a much harder job with no training and no extra pay because someone went on maternity leave. They've already hired someone for my old position. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 116
You deserved it 143

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Does that mean that you don't have a job once the maternity leave is over? That's terrible! So sorry to hear. Very shit behaviour on your employer's part.

Times I'm glad I'm in a union.. try talking to your HR department.

Comments

Times I'm glad I'm in a union.. try talking to your HR department.

Does that mean that you don't have a job once the maternity leave is over? That's terrible! So sorry to hear. Very shit behaviour on your employer's part.

That is usually what it means. I have seen this happen in two different companies. Women have job protection, so they get a guy to cover while they're out, then fire him when she comes back. He can't do a single thing about it.

It seems that also happens to women, since OP is female.

From what I've seen the fastest way to get promoted us to do your job so poorly they have to promote you.

Easy solution - get knocked up. They can’t fire you if you’re also pregnant. #badreason253tohaveababy

Looks like you’re ****** unless you figure out a graceful way to get out of that job. I gave you a good hint ;)

Hi guys! OP here (wasn't logged in when I posted) :) Thanks for the support! To answer your questions... 1. I don't know what will happen when she comes back, I guess I'll get demoted? 2. We don't have an HR department, it's a small family run business :( 3. I briefly (not seriously) considered getting knocked up XD To illustrate just how much I have no idea what I'm doing I went from the receptionist to the Contracts Administrator as in I oversee legal documentation/contracts for the building company I work for. Help.

Your HR department in this case is who ever signs your check, this is illegal practice by your boss. Any "promotion" that involves increase work or other tasks should have different pay.