Roadie

By partypooper - 28/07/2009 06:34 - United States

Today, a friend asked me if I could help him set up the stage for his wedding. Feeling honored that he considered me a close enough friend to aid him on his special day, I agreed to help. Turns out we aren't so close. I was asked to leave after I was done because I hadn't actually been invited. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 694
You deserved it 3 040

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He actually ASKED you to leave? "Thanks for your help, please don't hang around"? That sucks

Tell him you're glad he understands how awkward it would have been for you to hang around, with you sleeping with his fiance last month and all.

Comments

You crashed the reception, right? If I'd been used like that I would have shown up at the reception, gotten incredibly hammered, and then asked the bride: "Do you still think about that time when we ****** all night?"

That was ******* rude. If he didn't offer to compensate in any way, then cut this person from your life. I mean, it's one thing if the ceremony was meant to be family-only (that happens sometimes), or if he was offering to pay you, or would invite you to the reception, or whatever....but for him to dismiss you like that, simply because you weren't on the guest list, is callous and unfeeling. Focus on your other friends and give him the cold shoulder, and if he asks you why, tell the truth.

brrrx 0

Um, do any of you have any idea how expensive a wedding is? The general rule of thumb is that it's about $100 per guest. And generally when people are invited, they get an invitation to bring a guest as well. Should the groom shell out $200 bucks for a guy he's not great friends with who agreed to help him out? Is that amount of help he did worth trying to ruin a wedding (those run at least $20 grand, not to mention that it's one of the most important days of your life), or a MARRIAGE? OP: Don't get me wrong, that does suck. I just really sincerely hope you weren't tempted to do any of the obnoxious suggestions given here.

You bet it's worth ruining the event. Who is so much of an ass as to say "Help me set up with for this event...oh, and then screw off." If you feel someone is enough of a friend to ask them to help set up for your wedding, you had best invite them. What's an extra $100-200 at that point, especially if you're enlisting the guy's help?

mcsnelly 5

And how exactly does inviting one extra person who helped you set up for the big day ruin your wedding day OR your marriage?? It would probably not affect the couple in any way and would be a thanks to the OP for helping out. Also, not every wedding is $100/guest. It CAN be that much, but I've never even known anyone who spent that much on their wedding....my brother's wedding was actually a pretty fancy wedding (and, also, in Chicago, which means prices of basically everything are higher than most other places) and it was around $10,000...and that even included the price of their honeymoon in Jamaica.

If you ask a friend to help you out, it's only polite to compensate them in some way. He could have been up front and told him, "Look--I can't invite you to stay for the wedding, but here's a case of beer (or $50 or something) for setting this up". The groom thinks he's so ******* wonderful that people should be GLAD to take time out of their lives to do shit for him for free, and then get dismissed like the hired help. Nothing the OP does is going to "ruin the marriage". The groom's going to do that, himself.

brrrx 0

The groom inviting the guy to his wedding wouldn't have ruined it. But how about "Tell him you're glad he understands how awkward it would have been for you to hang around, with you sleeping with his fiance last month and all" or "If I'd been used like that I would have shown up at the reception, gotten incredibly hammered, and then asked the bride: "Do you still think about that time when we ****** all night?"" How about all the suggestions of getting wasted and making a big scene? Would that have ruined the wedding? ******* the set up bad, stealing food and booze, streaking, taking a shit - would those ruin your wedding? Because if not, I'm sure as hell going to crash it and do all of the above. Second, you don't know that the groom was rude to him. How do you know it wasn't a "hey thanks a lot man, I owe you one. We'll get drinks next week, eh?" Third, note the part where I agreed with the OP that it did suck. But the comments on here are beyond stupid, which was my point. Thanks for missing my point, geniuses :)

Ruining the wedding is sort of the intent at this point.

Since I'm pretty sure the wedding/reception was over and done with by the time the OP posted this, I don't think he's likely to implement any of the entertaining and creative suggestions offered. So, don't get your panties all in a wad about it, Brrrx--the marriage is safe! XD

We don't know that the groom was rude to him? It IS rude to ask a person to help out at an event to which said person is not invited. It's rude to use a person for the help he can provide and then discard him once his usefulness is up. The groom shouldn't have asked the OP for help and then simply dismissed him after he was finished, which is what the post says. While I'm not saying that the OP should've crashed the wedding in response, he certainly deserved better.

I see your point, but it's ******* retarded. Where did you pull half of those scenarios out of? You're ass? No where did the OP say he slept with the bride, yet you decided to make up all these things that "could happen" which are all complete and utter bullshit. Shut the **** up, you have no valid point. You damn buffoon.

brrrx 0

Haha you dumb piece of shit. If you had the intelligence of a teaspoon you would've been able to use control-F; I copied and pasted these ideas from comments to this FML. My point was that thank god the OP wasn't tempted to do the shit suggested by commenters. Pretty sure you didn't see my point, asshat. Now, try getting your head out of your ass before talking again.

Yep, pretty sure #50 has the measure of it (also, nice name!). This post is like the adult equivalent of "Hey, nerdy kid. Can you help me blow up balloons for my sweet sixteen? You've got nothing better to do all afternoon, right? No, you're not invited, you're not nearly popular enough!" (Sidebar: what tv show did I see that on? Daria? Gossip Girl? Something like that.) Rude. For some relative or other's wedding a few years ago, about 20 of us turned up on the day and helped put out place cards and decorate and make sure everything was perfect and it was over in a short time. The day after, a different bunch helped make sure everything was tidied and packed up and presents were taken back to the house etc, and it was probably over in a pretty short time too. But most of us were family or really close friends and we were all invited to the wedding. tl;dr: FYL, OP. Your friend is a prick.

delfinofrank 0

Crash the wedding and streak down the aisle naked. Your act will leave a visual mark in his mind he'll never forget.

You should have covertly taken a shit on the back seat of the limo while it was waiting for the bride and groom to exit the reception. Yes, I realize the limo driver is of issue here; but if you had a partner in crime, the driver could have been lured away.

They'd be in for some serious shit.

FYL. Join the party anyway, and bring along a bunch of prostitutes.

Clairina 0

lol #27 that sucks...maybe you should get nicer friends