Respect

By angry - 23/12/2016 22:20 - Canada - Scarborough

Today, I came out as lesbian and introduced my new girlfriend to my family. My mom angrily told me that I should have waited until my grandparents had died before coming out, and that I was "extremely disrespectful" for making this announcement. I honestly thought everyone would be fine with it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 067
You deserved it 1 163

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Some people unfortunately are incapable of change. Don't let them bring you down. Some of your family is probably fine with it, but don't want to get on the bad side of your parents. They'll hopefully come around, but even if not, take solace in your girlfriend and friends.

Your mom can suck it. Be happy. If your grandparents don't like it, that's on them; however, I think the reaction is more your mother's than anything. I'm sorry for the poor reaction. Hopefully she will accept who her daughter is. I hope you and your girlfriend live long, happy lives together :)

Comments

Some people unfortunately are incapable of change. Don't let them bring you down. Some of your family is probably fine with it, but don't want to get on the bad side of your parents. They'll hopefully come around, but even if not, take solace in your girlfriend and friends.

On the bright side, irony isn't lethal, so both you and your mother were able to survive her inane words.

I'm sorry you have a mental disorder that causes you to have gender-identity issues. It's disgusting that you act on your impulses instead of accepting the fact that you are a man. You are an absolutely deplorable trans piece of shit.

lisyaorancrazed 16
lisyaorancrazed 16

The person who's comment you replied to said nothing about being trans and neither did the OP so... who are you calling trans?

I'm very proud of you OP! It's very tough for people to come out. Some get into relationships that they don't feel right because they feel as though they'll be judged and hated by their loved ones. Glad this FML Didn't say anything about your mother not accepting you. She did overreact with the whole grandparent thing. I mean they are old and if they're anything like mine they aren't the most accepting because back in their days people weren't as loving and accepting so don't be too mad at them. Who cares about who you offended. I'm sure that weight off your shoulders feels a lot better.

Congrats on coming out. The only disrespectful one was your mother. I hope your girlfriend was okay with how your mom reacted. Did your grandparents even have a problem with it?

I'm sorry, this really shouldn't be an issue anymore at all... anyway, I believe it's important that people know who you are, whether they approve or not. Your grandparents know you better now, and also got to meet the person you're in love with. I think you would have regretted not showing them that side of your life, you don't need your mother's approval to share information about your personal life with your family.

I'm so proud of you OP, I had to do the same and I know it's the hardest thing in the world.

Cheer up OP, you took a big step. As for your family, sometime people just need more time to accept something they not familiar or not ok with.

lexiieeex3 32

Anyone who intentionally voted YDI: go **** yourself.

I think your grandparents are very lucky to know the real you and meet the person you love before they die, and your mother is very shortsighted not to realise that. Hope it didn't make your girlfriend uncomfortable. Good luck together!

That must be difficult for you, especially at this time of year. Remember though, OP - you're living your own life, and not theirs. People who'd rather you conform than be happy are people whose every opinion - quite frankly - should be taken with a grain of salt. Live your life and love the people who make you happy! xxx