Rash decision

By caiti - 06/08/2009 01:25 - United States

Today, I had a job interview and things were going really well until I noticed the woman interviewing me staring at the inside of my elbow. I am recovering from a poison sumac rash, and each spot looks like a puncture wound from a syringe. I was dismissed before the interview was over. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 365
You deserved it 4 457

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, you could've worn longer sleeves, or maybe tried some concealer? I suppose you could've also tried to explain to her about the rash, but she probably wouldn't have believed you anyway...so yeah fyl.

ajkkls63 0

You shouldn't work at a place that would jump to 'rash' decisions like your interviewer did.

Comments

Yeah man, you shouldn't be wearing short sleeves to an interview in the first place. At least a button up shirt and a tie, it's more likely she dismissed you simply for not dressing properly.

Imawhalerider 0

He does have a screen name. . . don't talk to him like he is a machine. granted that his sn is kinda long and stupid.

YellowHell 0

Liar. You drug addict. Go back to your street corner.

freemymindatnite 0

That's exactly why you should've worn long sleeves

de_fenestration 0

Yeah, long sleeves might have helped, but it's summer, it's hot. And to all the people posting about the sleeves - how do you know that what she was wearing wasn't perfectly acceptable at the place she was interviewing? You don't know where she was trying to work. Or maybe she had a nice suit jacket on but took it off because it was hot. You don't know that the interviewer would have cared about that. To OP - did you try to explain about the rash? Although I guess if they thought you really were a druggie, they wouldn't put lying past you. That's a real bummer, though, and something to keep in mind for future interviews, I guess.

It doesn't matter what is "acceptable" to wear to work. I live in LA...where it's been 100 F and do you want to know what I wore to an interview last week? A suit! I had a short sleeve top on underneath and I just put the coat on on my way in, where there was air conditioning. I don't care where you're applying to work, you have to dress professionally. Plus, if you think this is an ify call, if ever there was a situation where a coat or blouse with long sleeves was warranted, THIS IS IT!

mehwhateverr 0

Sometimes women wear nice shirts to interviews and then roll the sleeves up. It *can* look nice.

letitbe56 0

If she's interviewing in any kind of professional setting, she should be wearing suit, even if the employees don't actually wear suits every day. This is an interview, after all. She doesn't have the job yet. However, we have no reason to believe she wasn't wearing a suit. Lots of women's suits have bracelet sleeves right now. But she definitely should have covered the rash. It's just common sense.

mehwhateverr 0

FYL, because I don't think that just because an OP could have prevented the FML does that make it a YDI. You should have worn a long sleeved shirt or something, but I still say FYL.

day_dreamer123 0

"YDI for having anal intercourse and giving yourself AIDS you ******* ******." Really? Poison Sumac is not an STD ,the best way for me to explain it is that it's like Poison Ivy. Also I am sure the OP was wearing acceptable attire for her interview and if she wasn't then fine. I don't think it's a YDI because she didn't pay attention to her rash. I think the interviewer should of let her finish it's completely unprofessional especially because she is judging her because of her rash some reason I get the feeling that the interviewer wasn't even paying attention to what the OP was saying. Anyways..I'm sorry FYL

This one doesn't give enough detail in my opinion. Are you sure she was looking at it?

For the sake of throwing it out there. She might not have thought about the sumac before she left the house, or how it looked. That's how it reads to me. She was telling an odd story to a friend and they said "Um. It looks like you shot up." I know I generally worry about my resume, going over questions that will probably show up during the interview. Gotta say, love the site but I've been reading comments for the last few days... these are class 5 trolls. I don't know that I've ever seen worse. I agree, fyl :/

Makaylaeatstoes 0

You should've worn long sleeves. -.-

SOMEONE obviously wasn't wearing a suit. Proves how dressing up for an interview truely helps to get the job.

waterynuggets 0

What if spelling truly correct helped get the job?

letitbe56 0

There are ladies' suits that aren't long sleeved. Bracelet sleeves don't cover the forearm. Sarah Palin wore them a lot, if you recall. Really though, if the OP had a rash, she should have thought to cover it. Making a good impression means making everything perfect.

Sarah Palin didn't get the job she applied for either, with her inadequate clothing. Obviously, long sleeves are the way to go.