Promotion, huh?

By megs - 10/12/2016 12:49

Today, I was promoted. After going to school for 10 months to get certified for the new position, training extensively, and taking on a ton more responsibility, I was hoping for a decent raise. How much do my bosses think all of that time and effort is worth? One dollar more per hour than I made before. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 261
You deserved it 1 127

Same thing different taste

Top comments

$1 an hour raise may not seem like much, but that is an extra $2000 a year assuming you work 40 hour weeks.

"Oh, wow, you went to janitorial school and have tasked yourself with spending an extra four hours each day waxing the floors. That's… you're one hell of an accountant!"

Comments

StiffPvtParts 43

First world problems... Where I'm from, many people slave away working 10 hours, 6 days a week, all for that ******* $1/h. In the long run, this raise will add up to thousands of dollars, so please... stop complaining and start appreciating what you have.

You do realize that in the first world, the cost of living is much higher to the point where that extra dollar an hour after taxes does very little to advance your economic position.

I don't think you went abroad a lot. My experience is that, apart from food prices and real estate, most prices are (more or less) the same around the world. tvs, computers, cars, cameras... are products of globalised companies and ask the same prices everywhere. So yeah, a guy from Poland doesn't earn that much than an American and needs to buy the same shit with less money. a dollar an hour is about 160 dollar a month, that's a good raise imo...

And you obviously don't understand how economics in other countries work. Depending on where exactly OP lives, what the cost of living is and taxes they take; that $1 might not make much of a difference considering all the work and preparation OP needed in order to get in the first place.

It comes down to what you make initially. If you make $5 an hour, that's a 20% raise. FWIW, my raises, with me consistently exceeding my work goals, rarely get me or my colleagues more than 2%. Which is about the $ figure you got.

That ought to pay off in 15 to 20 years. What a great investment!!!

TMO2142 25

Still alot if you think about it in the long run

I mean that sucks but maybe with your new training and experience you can find a better paying job with a new company

kmafia5 5

I once worked at CVS as a pharmacy tech. Started at minimum wage, doing about 85% of the same exact job duties the pharmacist across the counter from me getting 55$ an hour. The literal only difference in job duties was they gave "consultations" and counted narcotics. I did about 40 hours of training to get tech certified, being told I'd get a raise if I would. I got a 37cent raise. Moral of the story: life is an unfair bitch. Sorry for your crappy employer.

I know the feeling. I became the first manager in my company last summer, I got a $0/HR raise and all the responsibility that a whole crew was taking on before. Keep at it, keep your chin up and a good attitude, they'll see what you're worth eventually.

tounces7 27

Not always. They're in it to make money, most companies don't give a rats ass about their employees. They're typically not even smart enough to realize that turnover is expensive and costs them in the long run. That's why like 90% of managers/supervisors aren't cut out for their position.

I'd say it's time to shop around. Interview with other companies for the same or similar position you were just promoted to.

boss is gonna get his tires slashed that's for sure lol

If you work an average of 40 hours a year give or take that's 2,080 dollars more per year and if you work more then you make even more