Prejudice

By howard1954 - 08/06/2015 15:08 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I found the courage to tell my parents about my boyfriend. They simply reacted by lecturing me about how much he'll ruin my life, and how much they don't like him. They haven't met him yet. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 728
You deserved it 2 681

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't even let it faze you. Enjoy being in a relationship and don't focus too much on them because they're being really unreasonable.

overprotective parents are tough to deal with, but be patient and don't give up on your life.

Comments

Your parents actions aren't cool at all but if you are only in middle school or something then I can understand why they're reacting this way as you are arguably too young for a relationship. If that's not the case then they're just being way too overprotective. Either way, the way they went about expressing their dislike of you having a boyfriend was very flawed.

What's this "if you're a middle schooler you are probably too young for a relationship" rubbish? No one is too young to love someone. Have an age appropriate relationship (this is flexible lol) and have fun. Kids have crushes all the time, don't stamp on them. Love someone who started dating their partner at 11 and are now happily living together at 19.

Sorry but no. You can't 'date' someone at the age of 11. You have no money to 'date', and you have no idea what an adult relationship entails. At the age of 11 'dating' is saying hello to someone in the playground and holding hands occasionally. At the age of 19 you can hardly call your relationship successful, you're just children and still have barely any concept of a mature relationship. Come back with your 'words of wisdom' when you're 50 and have been HAPPILY married for 20-25 years, and even then many relationships are not what I'd call successful. It's only successful if you still both genuinely love each other and your relationship lasts until one of you dies. Otherwise one has left the other and the relationship was not a success.

"At the age of 19 you can hardly call your relationship successful, you're just children and still have barely any concept of a mature relationship". I do see your point, but that is beyond patronizing. If a relationship is happy and healthy, it's successful in my view. Plus, if someone who is 19 is working their own job, paying their own bills, driving, voting, living by themselves etc. (as lots of 19 year olds I know are), it's hardly fair to call them children. You're giving off a really 'holier than thou' vibe.

My opinion highly depends on your age.

Really makes you feel better for your future

Duatin 11

parents... :p just try to remember they want the best for you and that no boyfriend will be good enough as they see it. if you are serious with this relationship, let them know. maybe they be nicer then!

Well, if you're still in school then you shouldn't have one yet

TallMist 32

You've never heard of high school romance, have you?

40- Not true. Me and my boyfriend have been together since we were 15 (I'm almost 20 now), and it never negatively affected my education or whatever. Loads of people have romances in high school.

cheesy_wotsit 20

OP, just don't get into my situation. I've been happily married for 10 years & my hubby is disabled. My mum came to the wedding, so knows we got married, yet when she visits us, she blanks him. She's one of those that if you're not 'useful' to her, she's not interested. :-(

I feel you. I haven't even told my parents about my parents about my boyfriend yet bc I know the lecture is coming!

could be worse you could both be dudes.

TallMist 32

First, why is 47 getting downvoted? Look at the OP's name. I've never met a woman named Howard. And the OP clearly mentions their relationship is with a guy. Meaning they ARE both guys. Secondly, why is them both being guys worse? I see nothing wrong with same-sex couples.