Plans fall through

By Anonymous - 28/08/2015 20:05 - Italy - Cervignano Del Friuli

Today, I found out that I won't be able to attend my own wedding, because I'll be in a mandatory training class that doesn't allow people to take vacation for any reason. So now we've wasted $10,000, and I can't even fly home for one day. All because I got promoted unexpectedly. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 030
You deserved it 2 271

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I do believe that due to how long you would have given your employer notice you may find that a quick chat to HR and explain your situation could mean the wedding is on still. Also if your job is forcing you to cancel tell them they will have to pay for it, they will let you go then.

Comments

in perspective, the wedding probably cost you a whole lot more than training class will pay you, so it's not economical to skip the wedding. go the wedding.

TeacherTeacher 11

You failed math in school didn't you? Over time the promotion will pay far more than the wedding costs.

To all the people saying 'that's against legislation', 'talk to HR', or 'just quit'... Notice that she's in Italy. Out there due to the economic climate it's very difficult to find a well paying job. Also it's not against legislation as they have very different working standards there.

Tell them you can't because you're getting married. Standing up for something so important shows confidence and leadership. It's what your boss would do if she/he were getting married that day.

zeffra13 31

If you have pre-approved time off, they can't suddenly say you have to be there. Especially when it's something family related like your own wedding.

Well if you can't make you wedding go all out on the honeymoon

cant tell if ydi or iayls cuz miss wedding... but promotion maybe means you can pay for it again sooner

Do the math if it helps. How long at the higher pay grade will it take to make up that $10K? Plus whatever you pay for a rescheduled wedding? Probably years. Not worth it, mathematically.

Promotion means better in long run. Wedding is one day

TallMist 32

Wedding is one day, but marriage, unless you get divorced, is the rest of your life.

This needs a follow up, I hope you attended your wedding!

That is completely unreasonable of your work to expect you to miss your own wedding! Is there an HR department you can complain to? I could see if it were just a yearly vacation that they were expecting you to postpone, but not your wedding!