Pennies on the dollar

By pizzalady - 22/01/2017 20:00

Today, while delivering pizza I was yet again given $0.04 over the total bill and told condescendingly to "keep the change." This happens on every shift. My pay is reduced during deliveries, and I drive my own car, and use my own gas. For $0.04. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 057
You deserved it 794

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Can someone explain why pizza places don't simply add a delivery charge?

Its not about that, its mostly that people dont know just how much someone depends on those tips to actually make a living wage. I would never know there was such a thing as being a pizza driver with your own car and your own gas since there is no such thing in my country. Tips are also considered extra in my country since everyone hired legally earns at least minumum wage regardless of tips.

Comments

Use your own transport for delivery? this is stupid.

I've had that problem more than once, I worked at the company who's name is also a game you might play with your grandmother. pay 3.25/hr when you're on the road, milage from store to delivery- and back .24/mile then tips. the 2 for 5.99 deal with delivery is 14.95, often given $15 even and told to keep the change. yea .05 tips often but there were those awesome people who tip 5.05 because they will give you a 20 and tell you to keep the change

Gangster 'Johnny': Who is it? Pizza Boy: It's Little Nero's, sir. I have your pizza. Gangster 'Johnny': Leave it on the doorstep and get the hell outta here. Pizza Boy: Okay. [leaves the pizza on the doormat] Pizza Boy: But what about the money? Gangster 'Johnny': What money? Pizza Boy: [matter-of-factly but sarcastically] Well, you'll have to pay for your pizza, sir. Gangster 'Johnny': How much do I owe ya? Pizza Boy: That'll be $11.80, sir. [Kevin drops the money from the dog door] Gangster 'Johnny': Keep the change, ya filthy animal. Pizza Boy: Cheapskate. [starts to leave, but is stopped by Johnny's next line] Gangster 'Johnny': Hey, I'm gonna give you to the count of ten, to get your ugly, yella, no-good keister off my property, before I pump your guts full of lead! 1, 2, 10! [machine gun fire; the delivery boy dashes back to his car and speeds away] Kevin McCallister: [opens the door and brings the pizza inside] A lovely cheese pizza, just for me. Couldn't resist posting this quote from Home Alone.

Why would I ever tip you for bringing me a pizza? That is your job, if you don't get paid enough you should take that up with your boss. Sure, if it was the worst snowstorm in years I might tip you. Same reason I don't tip much at restaurants, I only tip if the service was great. Good service is expected and doesn't deserve a tip. Great service does.

Well, in the US, it is customary (and expected) to tip 15%-20% at restaurants, and at least several dollars for delivery (depending on the distance, time and price of the delivery). It is so expected, in fact, that many servers and food delivery drivers make less than minimum wage and are expected to make up the difference in tips.

the best way it was ever put as to why to tip. How would you feel about making $4 an hour to put up with yourself being an asshole, then not spitting in the food. you seem like an asshole and I doubt you make the wait staff cherish their moments with you... tip the wait staff, since you can clearly afford by you "standards for service". and I work 50's as a skilled tradesman, I know what Good Quality should be and what it costs.

I know the pain. Hair Stylist here. Spend 30-45 mins perfecting a hairstyle for a client and get 1 dollar... sometimes in quarters... ?

I know how you feel. I also am a driver

My older sister used to do this for a job and ever si ce she told me how bullshit the pay was, I always tip. She told me once the highlight if her whole week was getting tipped $2, so whenever I order delivery I always give at least a $5 tip. It makes the drivers so happy. Its the little things we do that makes the world better.

I was a driver for over a year and say YDI for complaining. Lots of people don't seem to know to tip, and sometimes there's a bad night, but overall most drivers do pretty well. And it's a fun job overall. No need to bitch about the one person a night (or several) that don't when most people treat you decently. Shit's not going to be perfect anywhere with customer service.