By ihatepizza - 21/12/2016 22:49 - United States - Aurora

Today, as a delivery driver, I have been stiffed in tips by three separate people because "a delivery fee is a tip, right?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 152
You deserved it 1 051

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ruskiy_Cherep 18

A tip is a tip. Ur still getting your hourly paycheck right? I used to be a delivery driver and never expected a tip so I was always happy whenever I got one no matter how small

Being European, I despise the American tipping system and I think the minimum wage should apply for everybody. A tip should be an extra bonus for outstanding service, not something that is expected. I personally would never think about tipping a delivery driver here at home, and certainly not if he's delivering goods rather than food. However, it is what it is. You live and work in the USA, so it should be common sense that you tip over there to let the delivery guy have a decent income. FYL OP.

Comments

You could always explain that the delivery fee is not, in fact, a tip.

oj101 33

Are we supposed to tip delivery drivers, fee or no fee? I thought that was only for restaurants and bellhops.

I know online it tells you in very clear terms that the delivery fee is NOT a tip. I think the people are just too cheap to pay more money. I know I'm too cheap to pay the delivery fee and tip so I pick my pizza up. It's so close to my house that gas isn't even a factor.

Ruskiy_Cherep 18

A tip is a tip. Ur still getting your hourly paycheck right? I used to be a delivery driver and never expected a tip so I was always happy whenever I got one no matter how small

In most cases the owner gets the delivery charge. If the driver does get any of it its only a small percent and it goes towards the gas you wasted getting there. Your hourly pay is also the same as a servers when you're on the road. So no it is not a tip.

BellaD13 18

At my work, we charge $2 for delivery. The driver gets one dollar, the owner gets the other. They get paid around $4 an hour, and rely on the tips for an actual paycheck.

Ruskiy_Cherep 18

U misunderstood what I meant but okay. Like I said I was a driver before I know how it works.

Where were you a driver? In some countries, it isn't expected to tip. In the US, tipping is expected, though not mandatory. Also a driver. I'll admit, I'll bitch to my coworkers, out of earshot of any customers, about delivering a $100 order and receiving no tip. But I'll be sweet as hell to the customer, and hope for return service. As well, some companies handle tipping and delivery fees differently.

when you make $3/Hr plus $0.25/per mile you don't make minimum wage without tips

You make minimum wage without tips, because, according to law, your employer is required to cover the difference between regular pay and minimum wage of you don't make enough in tips. Then again, if people tip you just $5 per delivery, you make minimum wage in about 8 deliveries. In some cases, the service industry can bring you even more money on a good day. And, yes, the math checks out. If you make approx. $2/hr, and you work 8 hours. If you get $5/delivery, and 8 deliveries a day, you've made minimum wage. But most people don't tip $5 for pizza unless it's a $40+ order, and even then, not so much. It's usually around $2, and with approx. 18 deliveries, that's minimum wage.

Helldemon 32

#2 Must be nice living with your parents and not having to worry about bills of any kind.

The trick is to be as clear and concise about what exactly you want; ambiguity is to avoided at all costs. Open your hand and beg for the customer to "just put the tip in".

lexiieeex3 32

Do people not realize most delivery men/women get paid below minimum wage and rely on these tips for their income? Come on people... This is nothing new. If you have $20 for food to be delivered to your home you have $2 for the person who drove their ass to get it to you.

Or why not pay them actual wages. Tipping is a scam anyway.

ribx 16

In my country, there's no tipping (unless there's extraordinary service and you really want to acknowledge that), you just get paid for what you do and we have a decent minimum wage

I've never understood the logic about bitching about a job that you applied for on your free will. no one held a gun up and made you take the job and no one is making you stay. if you don't like the pay, leave.

As an American, when I moved to Ireland I felt *so* terrible not tipping the delivery people, because it wasn't expected at all. But the delivery charge DID go to them.

If a person does not make enough tips on any given day to raise his pay to minimum wage then the job has to make up the difference. As such no matter if you tip someone or not they still make minimum wage.

Close, it's within the pay period, but otherwise true.

#4 You do realize it's not the customer's responsibility to pay employee's wages but is the employer's responsibility, right? It's not customer's problem to make sure employee's wages are fair when the employee 100% voluntarily chose the job under these conditions. Last time I check, low wage jobs that rely on tips are not the only type of jobs that exists in the world. Find a new job. They are out there. It's only difficult for those who don't try.

As a broke college student, I took this job because it was available and I needed one. We can't all be so choosy about what jobs we take. I like my job, but that won't stop me from complaining about it sometimes. Just like I'm paying for my school, and yes, I'm privileged to be able to attend, but that doesn't take away my right to complain about that, either.

9, you're right, but not tipping in response is a horrible protest. It hurts the people getting short changed, and doesn't affect the people who actually have the power to change things.

#42 It's has absolutely nothing to do with being choosy at all. You're complaining about a situation in which you 100% voluntarily put yourself in. People in these jobs act like its the only job available which is 100% logically invalid argument to make. You can work at McDonalds for more than that. Your post has no validity at all.

That used to happen to me all the time when I was a delivery driver. So many people don't realize that you depend on those tips to make a livable wage. Sorry, OP. I feel for you

Minimum wage jobs aren't meant to pay "livable" wages.

Actually, according to F.D. Roosevelt when he signed the laws creating minimum wage, they are supposed to be a livable wage.

No, seriously, FDR said that minimum wage should be a livable wage for an adult with a family. Not "minimum wage is intended for high school students to get job experience". I'm a college student, living at home, working 2 minimum wage jobs at 40 hours a week total just trying to pay for my phone and my car. Don't try telling me to "go get a real job then". My schedule is crazy and I can't work a typical 9-5. It's nuts that any college student should be working 40 hours a week, because school is also a full time job. It sucks, and it sucks more when people stereotype those of us just trying to make a living in the manner you do.

if you don't make at least minimum wage with your tips the company has to make up for it. so if a customer chooses not to tip is not like you won't still make minimum wage.

I've been through the same constantly. I've gotten good at explaining the delivery charge for Pizza Hut goes towards the company's liability insurance that covers damages that exceed the delivery driver's insurance if there is an accident on duty. I also bring plates napkins cheese and peppers when we have them and tell the customer that right after saying the total due so they see the above and beyond attitude that leads to better tips. I hope this helps you a bit!

I'll do the same. I work for Panera Bread (I'm not sure how widespread it is, but it's a bakery-cafe that recently started delivering) and our policy is that if we can't complete your order perfectly, we will comp you a bakery item. So, if we ran out of the chicken noodle soup, we will ask what kind of soup you'd prefer instead, then comp you a cookie. So I'll say, "I included an extra cookie for your trouble," and people are usually happy enough to tip well and order from us again. I also know that some of our $3 delivery fee goes toward gas (I'm paid $0.40/mile), but I hadn't thought about the insurance part (which is ironic because my first week on the job, someone ran a red light and hit me while I was on a delivery). Thanks for the advice, too!

Being European, I despise the American tipping system and I think the minimum wage should apply for everybody. A tip should be an extra bonus for outstanding service, not something that is expected. I personally would never think about tipping a delivery driver here at home, and certainly not if he's delivering goods rather than food. However, it is what it is. You live and work in the USA, so it should be common sense that you tip over there to let the delivery guy have a decent income. FYL OP.

I'm an American and I hate it. I hate feeling obligated to reward crappy service because they don't make a decent wage.

Thank you, #11, for not being a snotty dumb ass, like so many people commenting here. They say they don't tip because they think they shouldn't have to (and arguably they're right) but the truth is they're just selfish and cheap. You don't bring down the system of tipping by paying companies that use the system, and then stiffing the workers.

I make $4/hr as a driver, but if my tips don't bring me up to minimum wage, my work is required to make it up. Most days I scrape by, making $5 or $10 in tips a shift. Some really good days, I'll make $50 or so. I totally agree that the system is wrong, though. I am very appreciative when people hand me a tip, and I always do the best job I can, and my regulars appreciate that. Thank you for being understanding of the system we Americans live in, even though it's different from yours. It sucks, but we make do.

I never tip a delivery driver, but ofc i live in a country that people dont need a tip to survive. Dont complain about your customers, complain about the system.

chessu 21

I would never think to tip a delivery driver. Yet another example how the States are ****** up

Me either. I thought they were paid pretty well.

Well a tip isn't something that's guarantee so if you get any then ditto. But if you need those tips to survive then cant blame us for your choice of job.