Ouch

By leaannec30 - 10/07/2016 18:52 - Canada - Hamilton

Today, I thought my car was overheating. I then thought it was wise to put my hand close to my muffler to feel the heat. Needless to say, I stuck my entire hand on my muffler then had to drive around with the only cold thing in my car. A cold beer from my cooler. Yes, I got pulled over. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 761
You deserved it 11 922

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You put your hand near the muffler to feel if the engine was overheating? Wat?

As long as the beer wasn't open and you had no alcohol in your system there shouldn't have been any issues! You could fight any kind of ticket/punishment the cop may have been shitty enough to give out, especially if you have burns on your hand

Comments

At least it wasn't open..........if it was open then YDI ya great dummy

As long as the beer wasn't open and you had no alcohol in your system there shouldn't have been any issues! You could fight any kind of ticket/punishment the cop may have been shitty enough to give out, especially if you have burns on your hand

Still super embarrassing and humiliating.

Based on her reaction to the engine overheating, idk if it is safe to assume she wasn't.

Not true here, it is 100% illegal to drive with alcohol inside the passenger cabin. If it isn't in the trunk, and you are pulled over you will get a valid, legal ticket.

Idk where you live but where I am it's just open containers that aren't allowed. Sealed alcohol is fine.

Here you aren't allowed to have alcohol within reach of the driver, so if you have a little car, you ha e to put it in the trunk, if you drive like a van then you put it in the back row.

#18 That may be true, but it's a damn shame if a cop isn't sensible enough to look at burns on someone's hand and not ticket them for holding the only cold thing they have on hand.

Breaking the law is breaking the law. It's not that the cop wasn't being sensible, it's that you can't hold beer in the passenger cabin, even if you had burned your hand.

So #40 you're telling me that if you are in an emergency situation, an illogical, unnecessary law is a priority over your health?

I've always found it weird that you can't have open alcohol in the car, if the driver has no alcohol in their system it shouldn't be an issue

@#41, if you get burned, yes, it makes sense to grab the only cold thing in the car. But that doesn't mean you get back in the car and start driving, not if there are laws in your country about having alcohol in reach of the driver. You sit on the side of the road and hold that beer until either you're good to put it away, or, if it requires treatment, until medical help arrives.

Illinois is one state you can't have any alcohol in your car, open or not. Illegal transportation. It has to be in your trunk. If you're in a van or SUV, you're screwed, there aren't any exemptions for open vehicles. Most cops don't say anything, from what I've experienced, unless the driver seems intoxicated.

So she was breaking the law by having the beer in the car (as it was in a cooler that was in her reach) regardless of the burnt hand?

Op here. Yes yout correct open or not is still illegal in ontario. However with a burn such as that i was willing to take the risk to ease the insane pain

dbt88 15

She didn't say she got a ticket. She said she got pulled over. Nobody's going to know that's why she's holding it until they talk to her.

If the beer wasn't open then I see no problems, but then again, the cop wouldn't know that so I'm not surprised you got pulled over.

ExtremeEncounter 32

Or just stick your hand over the AC.

If the car is overheating you don't want to run the AC as it will make the engine run hotter since it is doing more work.

Actually, with my previous vehicle, it was a good idea to run the A/C when it was overheating - it kicked on an auxiliary fan under the hood which actually cooled the engine off. That being said, I'm doubting OP was bright enough to know whether or not that would be the case with their car.

32, it sounds like you had a failing fan. I would have started with the relay,then bypassed it to check the fan motor it self.

Kinda understand why the cop pulled you over, but sorry about your hand :|

You put your hand near the muffler to feel if the engine was overheating? Wat?

Doesn't know anything about cars I suppose

isn't there literally an engine temp gauge on all cars?

No, not all cars have temp gauges. Some have "idiot lights", but they're not reliable. Usually an idiot light comes on approximately 3.2 seconds before total obliteration.

Goblin182 26

N0, not all cars. Some have "idiot lights". No gauge, just a light that comes on when it is to late. If OP thinks the way to check if an engine is overheating is to check the muffler then I doubt they would know where the gauge hand should be.

ChakraSensei 2

#19 My car doesn't have "idiot" lights. It has one that says check engine, one that looks like a steering wheel with a lightning bolt on it, one that looks like a baby taking a nap, one that looks like a fox jumping in a hole, but nowhere on my dash does it say idiot.

54, check the mirror. That's what the idiot light should look like. jk. I got what you were saying, don't know why you were down voted. .

Hope you could resist to open the bottle and take a sip.

Does anyone else not understand, or is it just me ?

You're an idiot, why would you think touching the muffler was a good idea? You want to touch the header next and melt your hand to the engine?