Online shopping strikes again

By Anonymous - 05/03/2017 20:00

Today, after saving up for a beautiful new dress to wear to my partner's 30th birthday party, it finally arrived in the post. I tried the dress on and the stitching instantly ripped, leaving two big holes in it. Turns out I'm no longer a size 8. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 788
You deserved it 2 020

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You could still be a size 8. Every company's sizing runs differently

MissSpaceUnicorn 5

If all the stitching was going to rip you shouldn't have even been able to get the dress on.

Comments

MissSpaceUnicorn 5

If all the stitching was going to rip you shouldn't have even been able to get the dress on.

Not all the stitching ripped, two sections did. Which means it was probably in sections that have a lot of movement.

You should be able to return it. Most online companies have a decent return policy.

Depends why the product is damaged. If OP's measurements match the dress measurements on the site, then there was a mistake somewhere on their end that they might refund for.

You could still be a size 8. Every company's sizing runs differently

young_stud 14

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
young_stud 14

She probably didn't need the money anyway.

I don't think that was the point. And buying a new outfit for a party is pretty common.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You should always measure yourself before buying something online... and obviously you were putting way too much pressure on the material if it didn't rip only once, but twice. YDI.

First, measure the dress and check it against the measurements online. If you went by the sizing guide from the website and the dress you got doesn't match it, contact customer service, you can almost certainly get a refund/exchange in that case. (and if you didn't go by the sizing guide and just figured "eh, I'm usually a size 8," sorry but YDI a bit, you should always check measurements when you buy online). If you can't return the dress, you could look into getting it tailored. I'm assuming it's a pretty nice dress if you had to save up for it, so maybe it's worth salvaging. Tailoring can be expensive, but for pricey clothes it's still cheaper than buying a new dress (depending on the cut and what type of holes we're talking about and how much bigger it actually has to be made). If nothing else, you might be able to repair the ripped seams and have a really pretty dress to give to a smaller-sized friend. Also, I hope you have a great time at the party no matter what you wear :)

I really hate when people write in present tense when talking about something that happened in the past.

You need to make sure you order "American 8," which is standard size 14 relabeled to make fat people feel better about themselves.

aly2328 7

There is nothing wrong with a size 8 woman or a size 14 woman. All women no matter what size are beautiful. All people no matter what size are beautiful. The only thing wrong here is you. You sit in front of a screen and degrade people so you can feel better about yourself.

neuronerd 28

A US 8 is a UK 10. I'm an 8 (at 5'10") and by BMI standards, I'm not even close to overweight.

opa92 0

Actually, US 8 is a UK 12. There are two sizes between the two systems.

Kaalschneid 21

When the Gender shows a male silhouette, and it makes this a little different. (didn't say bad, or weird, or anything negative, but different than expected.)

nonsensical 26