Odd

By StupidPets - 24/08/2016 03:09 - United States - Murrysville

Today, I saw my new pet fish completely missing the food at the bottom of his tank and sucking up the little rocks instead. My last dog died from eating rocks. I think I'm doomed to have insanely stupid pets. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 246
You deserved it 1 418

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Are you sure they're stupid? Maybe they're just stoned. Maybe it seemed like a solid plan at the time and now he's just hit rock bottom.

Comments

Are you sure it's eating the rocks? It might be trying to clean the tank like that.

Sounds like you're feeding your fish the wrong kind of food. If he's sucking the rocks that means he's a bottom feeder and needs sinking food like shrimp pellets and algae wafers. You're not doomed to have stupid pets - you're doomed to being a stupid owner if you don't research the needs of different kinds of pets.

Not necessarily. I have two comet goldfish, and I give them goldfish pellets made for their breed. Yet they still do the rock-sucking thing. Some species just do it because they want the extra nutrients, or to clean their mouths/wear down their teeth.

It's pretty normal for many fish. I had a ciclid that would pick up a mouth full of rocks, swim to the other side of the tank, and deposit them forming a pile on one side of the tank. I would then smooth the rocks back to normal, and he would start again. By the next day, there would be a pile of rocks up one side of the tank.

KryssLB 14

Cichlids make nests out of sand (and rocks if they can move them). Leave what he does to the bottom of the tank in place and he'll soon hollow out a nice little nest or build a defensive wall. Nothing wrong with it. :)

I had an aquarium a long time ago. It even had a lid except for the thin strip at the back where the heater and filter hooked on. SO MANY FISH SUICIDE DEATHS. It was mildly disturbing.

Honestly if I could have figured out HOW they were jumping out of the tank, you don't think I would have done something?

tingtingmeg 12

they actually spit the rocks back out

Most fish do that, don't worry they do spit the rocks back out lol

You clearly don't know much about fish...it's normal for them to do that. They're just sucking the nutrients off the rocks and spitting them out.

Almost all fish do this; I believe they are eating the algae off the rocks and spitting the rocks back out.

Oh my god, I'm pretty sure i have retarted animals too. I told my bf that if we have kids, we can't exchange them at the hospital, we'd have to keep ours.

Please learn to spell words before using them. It's entirely too easy to make fun of you for using the word "retarded" when you can't even spell it.

Maybe they just meant to explain that their pets have gone back to being strumpets? :)

Your dog may have had a mineral deficiency hench why he/she was eating rocks. I'm sorry for your loss though. Animals are family ♡