Not a geography major

By Anonymous - 16/02/2010 05:15 - United States

Today, I had an interview for a college. The college is in Rhode Island. I live on the West coast. When I asked the interviewer if they got to the mainland by boat or by some other form of transportation, he told me Rhode Island is not an island. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 691
You deserved it 65 180

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm guessing you didn't get in? haha, I'm in Australia and I know that!

Comments

YDI. I bet you're one of the people featured in that video "Americans are not stupid."

You take the Rhode to get off the Island.  Everybody knows that!

Haha, rhode your such a dumbass. It's road and you take a boat from Canada to get to Rhode Island. Everyone knows this.

WTF is that supposed to mean. Are you calling me a rock?

You spelt "you're" wrong. It's you're without the " ". Just so you know. ;)

Oh I'm sooooo scared. Just to let you know wipe that grin off your face. You ain't kicking this sob's ass. I can run away faster than you ever imagined.

I am sorry for communicating with you. As of government regulations I am not allowed to talk to English people. Sorry for the inconvience I have caused you. I hope you have a great day and I hope the Irish don't invade from the west driving their tanks over to England. Watch out for the scots though they will travel across the seas to reach England. I don't know though I think the whalers from the east/southeast will protrectering you. :)

It was a pun. Obviously way over your head though.

iamelrebel 0

24788, you should not be allowed to comment on this FML. You are just as retarded as the OP.

as a fellow californian, you're f***ing stupid

quikwit1212 0
MoCo_fml 0

YES. The OP deserves onions that will make her CRY for her stupidity. Sounds like a solid plan to me. ^^

Oh my god, I live in freakin' Norway and even I know Rhode Island isn't an island! You have to be mentally retarded or something, YDI!

No, they do not have to be mentally retarded. They just have to be educated in the California Public School system.

I live in Rhode Island. Please don't come here.

Wait, I know that this sounds bad for us west coast people, but until I read this FML, I had no idea it wasnt an island. F*ck Our Lives OP for having to deal with the people on the east coast naming a non-island a name that includes "island" in it. Its super misleading.

I'd argue it should be "F their lives" for living in a place their ancestors were silly enough to call an island for no apparent reason. It is misleading, but if you're even moderately well versed in US political geography, which a college applicant (like the OP) should be, the mindjob should have happened prior to this interview. Only reason I knew Rhode Island isn't actually an island is because I studied New England and New France geography rather extensively during the phase I went through in which I was interested in colonial times. I still like the idea that the British colony that eventually became Canada is one of the few countries to have conquered Washington DC, however briefly, but I have to admit, you guys conquered the capital of Canada at the time as well (York, which is now a small part of Toronto and no longer the Canadian capital). I still say we won, not because we conquered any territory in the long run, but because we succeeded in our objective in not losing any territory. Obviously wouldn't happen these days, though - we'd surrender in a heartbeat if the US actually went to war with us. Nothing against our forces, but I sincerely doubt the Canadian Armed Forces has a Stalingrad-esque defense in them.

sweetheart I'm from the south and I know that rhode island isn't a state...they teach u this in school geez

FAIL. You mean "island". The south also lives in their own world.

aDropOfSunshine 2

In hindsight, it is quite a confusing name choice, however, it wasn't for no reason whatsoever. More importantly, a lesson in US geography, or (gasp) looking at a map would clear up any confusion quite easily.. Wikipedia actually gives some of the most common assumptions as to why the state is named in such a way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island I heart RI. That is all.

@ taycandy96 I'm from the south west and you have just failed. I do believe that no one said Rhode Island wasn't a state and that you have just made yourself look completely stupid.

Rhode Island is one of 13 original colonies!

mrmystery96 0

then by 59's definition, they also live in their own world, making them just as stupid as they classify everyone else as. please don't stereotype :( asshole...

Should have known, OP, because you already learned about that :/ The only reason I didn't know is because I'm in the seventh grade I haven't learned about it yet -.-

quikwit1212 0

Woah, 98, what the hell is that in your picture?!

HAHAHAHA. I'm from the south, and I know it's not an island. I'm next to positive it's a state though. I mean, I'm pretty sure. Well, this big ol' internet world is too much for my southern little brain to handle. I'm going to go eat fried food and sleep with my brother.

#57... I live in Rhode Island... it IS a state you idiot! Go look at a map moron!

agnijay 0

@ Juggalette: You have just failed, as I am 95% positive that 'southwest' is one word. Therefore, you live in the southwest and NOT the south west.

You're just jealous cuz up north ya'll don't have grits. And Duke's. I pity you. It was obviously a mistake...La'duh!

I'm wondering how the OP passed US Geography in middle school.