Mr Commitment

By Anonymous - 05/01/2021 05:00

Spicy
Today, after I caught my (now ex) boyfriend cheating. He told me that it isn't my business if he was seeing other woman, because we didn't had an official relationship. We have been living together in a house we bought, for two years now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 579
You deserved it 145

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Seriously, where is this coming from? Why are you being so mean?

DrSamba1 8

I'd say when you buy a house together, that's pretty official. I hope you now have separate bedrooms at least.

Comments

KingAdrock 16

I'm not the biggest proponent of marriage, but who buys a HOUSE with a boyfriend/girlfriend? That's destined for ruin...

My husband and I bought a house together before we were engaged or married. 🤷‍♀️ It works for some, but not all apparently. Also I should add that we've been together going on 13 years.

ghostinflames 13

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
ghostinflames 13

Just saying Father Time can be the worst of them. They had plenty of time to make it official and waited till it was too late.

ghostinflames 13

Actually it seems they didn't even try.

ghostinflames 13

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Seriously, where is this coming from? Why are you being so mean?

Oh are you one of those people who thinks it's 100% the woman's fault if her partner is cheating? That women all need to be proper housewives?

ghostinflames 13

What I'm saying is if they communicated better, there might have been a fighting chance. Even if only 65/35.

DrSamba1 8

I'd say when you buy a house together, that's pretty official. I hope you now have separate bedrooms at least.

Tell him he must get his own place now, seeing as how he never officially lived there.

Warp1978 15

In England if you've been living together for two years or more assets are seen as joint EG your house. So how's that not permanent? Time to get some and make his ass jealous.

I do not judge couples who live together without getting married. My wife and I did that for a year before getting married. Adults can do that and it’s nobody else’s business. But if a couple or one of the couple is unwilling to make an “official commitment” to marriage then they are not ready for jointly owned property (or a family). Dealing with a jointly owned house is a big deal, but still minor compared to dealing with children from a failed relationship. Again I am not saying every relationship has to be “official” just that if the couple are not willing to make a commitment to the relationship, then it’s wise to consider that at some point the relationship could be ending. Obviously OP’s boyfriend is a real jerk and claiming that he had no “official commitment” just means he got caught and was looking for a an excuse for his behavior. This is going to get ugly, either two now disillusioned people who are no longer a couple are going to have to continue for some time living in a shared household or they have to sell the house as quickly as possible which could be a financial problem depending on their local housing market.

Nhayaa 21

So if you never want to get married you shouldn't buy a house with your loved one because the relationship could end? You know it can happen even with that small official piece of paper, right? Because married or not, you won't force someone to stay.