Money hole

By Anonymous - 15/07/2020 17:00

Today, my uncle kept his promise and left me his holiday house in his will. What he didn’t tell me was it’s been unmaintained for 14 years and is unfit for human habitation, has 2 mortgages, and now it and all its issues are now mine. Old, dead bastard. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 812
You deserved it 336

Same thing different taste

Top comments

rotflqtms_ 21

If you haven't formally accepted the house as your responsibility, you can just say you don't want it and let it go into foreclosure. That'll be on your uncle's credit, not yours. You don't have to inherit his mortgages if you don't want to.

Sometimes when you get what you ask for, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Investigate before you go begging. I’m sorry for your loss of a family member; it sounds like you’re not.

Comments

rotflqtms_ 21

If you haven't formally accepted the house as your responsibility, you can just say you don't want it and let it go into foreclosure. That'll be on your uncle's credit, not yours. You don't have to inherit his mortgages if you don't want to.

Sometimes when you get what you ask for, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Investigate before you go begging. I’m sorry for your loss of a family member; it sounds like you’re not.

He's probably laughing in hell. Probably not a lot of fun activities to do there, so reminiscing about how he screwed parasite relatives is surely a rare pleasure for the old, dirty bastard.

How did you not know about the 14 years of disrepair? Like if ya knew about the house and were close to enough to expect it in his will, how did you not visit it with him for over a decade?

rotflqtms_ 21

Holiday house, not main house. But still, 14 years since he had been to the holiday house? Yikes.

The distinction doesn’t relate to what I said. I never said it wasn’t a holiday house. But that’s the thing a holiday house is usually visited once a year, so For 14 years this person never went to holiday at the house but expected it in the will, so like what? It’s also rather easy to know that the uncle never visited it during the holidays or not since most people talk to their family members. It’s just weird to be expecting something left to you that you haven’t actually seen or touched in 14 years, it sucks that it’s in disrepair with debt but like that is what it is.

DirtySalamander 9

be careful what you wish for.

bloopaloop 27

Why didn’t YOU take care of it at all for the last 14 years? Also, it’s value is probably more than the mortgages, so you can always just sell it and make a couple grand if not more. I wouldn’t be sayin someone FmL’d you for that

genuinegoodguy 9

The house first goes to his creditors, which would be the two banks holding a mortgage on it. You can take over those two mortgages... however you have to qualify for them and all that. Nobody can force you to take his debt, or the mortgages. If you don't take over the mortgages than the house goes to the bank and not you.