Free money for me, but not for thee

By Anonymous - 04/08/2020 14:01

Today, my dad refuses to let me inherit all of his money, which might just put a roof over my head when I’m older. *His* money? Well, actually, he inherited it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 222
You deserved it 909

Same thing different taste

Top comments

vrynn1 16

It's not your money. So why should you have it?

thatkorean 5

Parents are not required to leave their children an inheritance when they die. I mean it sucks. But I mean maybe he’s worried it would only set you up for a short term fix where he would want it long term? Maybe show him you’d be responsible? Not saying that’s how he’s thinking but I’ve had aunts and uncles who will only give an inheritance to their kids as long as each shows they are responsible adults. And that’s thanks to their sister who wasted her inheritance when their mom died.

Comments

vrynn1 16

It's not your money. So why should you have it?

daughterOfgrimm 5

So...who/where does he plan on it going to when he passes...?

He thinks once you know you're going to get all of "dead grandpa's" money, he might die in an "unfortunate accident." Here's a thought: Why don't "you" get a "job" and buy a "house" with "your money?"

Exactly. Your not Entitled to anything go make your own way in life I don’t rely on others for anything

thatkorean 5

Parents are not required to leave their children an inheritance when they die. I mean it sucks. But I mean maybe he’s worried it would only set you up for a short term fix where he would want it long term? Maybe show him you’d be responsible? Not saying that’s how he’s thinking but I’ve had aunts and uncles who will only give an inheritance to their kids as long as each shows they are responsible adults. And that’s thanks to their sister who wasted her inheritance when their mom died.

Where I am, if OP is a minor then the dad DOES have to leave an inheritance. Where I am, a deceased's spouse and dependent children must be provided for.

It's HIS money. He can do what he wants with it. It's not yours,you aren't entitled to it just because you're his son.

I think the issue is the father making it sound like they earned the money and therefor, OP should also have to. even though the father did no, since they inherited it. and depending on OP's age it is a fair concern for a young person to worry about not being able to afford a home seeing the current struggle.

Its still his money and I'm wondering what you did that makes him not want you to have it.

It_gets_better 19

@ Everyone who's saying it's his money and why should OP have it. The point is the father's hypocrisy. Get over yourselves.

All we know is he inherited it. Perhaps he worked hard and proved himself responsible for it? And the OP is a POS that thinks he's owed that money?

bl3ur0z3 17

That doesn't mean OP is entitled to it. By that logic, I should inherit the money. Because I'm sure I've done just as much to deserve it as OP.

WTH? Earn your own money! Why you feel so entitled? Want a roof over your head when you get older, do what the rest of us do, work for it!

It IS his money, and no, it is NOT yours. He can do with it what he wants.

bl3ur0z3 17

So, because an ancestor of yours earned it, you deserve not to have to get a job to pay your own rent?