Mommy issues

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, as I was picking up my 7 year-old daughter at my ex-husband's house, my daughter started crying saying that she wanted to stay with Daddy forever. I asked why. She said her stepmom was a better mommy. Apparently, the woman who broke up my marriage is now a better "Mommy." FML
I agree, your life sucks 103 808
You deserved it 9 326

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sometimes kids play off on parent against the other to get stuff. You know, step mummy's better because she lets me eat fast food, watch tv late... or something to try and get you to do the same. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Comments

Kids do this all the time because the stepmom wants to be their friend, so they don't take on that authoritative role with them. You're the mom that she will respect though, and that's what mom's are for. It's going to hurt hearing that, but you're number one for her.. and you'll hear it eventually.

Your husband ruined your marriage just as much as the other woman..

Well, as any of us who are parents can attest....kids will always say things to try to get us upset. Its a manipulation. Now would be a good time to sit back and reevaluate your mothering skills. Do you spend quality time with your daughter? Are you leaving her home alone alot while you work? Are you giving her a wholesome environment to grow up in? Are you setting a good example for your daughter in how to behave and to treat others...and even how to choose men? She's watching you know. Are you kind to other people including the ex and his new wife even when its a hard situation? Are you setting a poor example for your daughter by making vicious comments about your ex/his wife in front of her? Are you supportive of your daughter's father even though you are angry inside over losing him? Kids pick up on anger and contempt. Maybe you're teaching her by your example. Kids know when they are being played against the stepparents, and they know when there's anger and hate in their homes. Are you surrounding your child with hate? If you can honestly say that you are creating a loving, wholesome environment for her at home...then write this comment off as a bratty kids comment meant to make you feel sad. If not....well, you see where you need to address the problem.

10 and 13 have it right... I mean, you're her mom, you love her unconditionallyand she loves you the same...but stepmoms are either awful in the sense that they try to replace you, out-do you when in comes to gifts or giving any privelages, or they're awful and mean or abusive because they resent the cild for being some1 elses...so, count yourself lucky that this problem with your kid is easily reversible, or, at the very least, that she'll outgrow that mentality eventually

Jertastic 0

aww, that's sad :( but i wouldn't take it too seriously. she IS only 7, and you know how these divorce things go. always the one parent saying bad things about the other, and bla bla bla. things should be fine

She's probably too young to realize how hurtful what she's saying is. Besides, the others have it right, her step-mom is probably spoiling her. I wouldn't take it personally.

cxal_fml 0

would be a bit nicer if you had actually changed something since the last time you posted this one here - 5 weeks ago