Me me me

By perfectmoment - 30/11/2009 00:47 - Canada

Today, I called my boyfriend to have a shoulder to cry on because my grandpa died. As soon as I told him, he started crying and telling me how much he missed his grandmother, who died six years ago. I spent the majority of the phone call listening to him wail. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 570
You deserved it 5 997

Same thing different taste

Top comments

caticaticati 3

You add the 'who died six years ago' as if that changes how much it sucks to lose someone. Sometimes my friends' facebook statuses say something about their grandmas/grandpas/other close family dying, and I get really upset thinking about my grandma that died in a car accident 2 years ago. And anytime anyone tries to talk about a car accident they were in, I get upset as well. Some people are sensitive and it's possible that your boyfriend was really close to his grandma, or that he bottled up his emotions after her death and has a hard time dealing with them now. It sucks that you didn't exactly get the comfort you wanted, but at least you have someone who can relate to you and help you. When my boyfriend and I met, we got to talking about the car accident I was in (the one my grandma died in) within the first week of dating - it was only 7 months after it happened and I started getting kind of upset talking about it. My not-yet-boyfriend then told me that he had lost his grandpa earlier in that year - it helped me to know know that I now knew someone who had been through what I had been through in some sense. Try to be understanding and arrange a day for your boyfriend and yourself to get together and talk about memories and such - I'm sure it will be helpful for both of you. I'm very sorry for your loss. I suggest finding a grief group - they're really helpful sometimes.

so? I know somebody who's grandma died when they were 4 (they're 22 now) and they are still sad sometimes. So its ok for you to cry but not for him? And let me guess: you weren't sad anymore?

Comments

Skull_300 0

Ahh Wahhhhhh! Boyfriend needs to quit ******* crying... Or, FML needs to drop this sissy boy for his carrying on crying, while she is being needy. He needed to put on his game face, console FML and then get Laid!!!

OP, have some compassion. As of today, you know what it feels like to lose someone close to you. Your boyfriend experienced that, too. Don't be selfish and expect that he's going to kiss all your boo boos better. He's human, too, and he also lost someone very near and dear to him. Time doesn't matter. My grandma died five years ago in a terrible way which she didn't deserve, and I can't even think of her without crying. I look at a photo of her, and I'm gone. Maybe your boyfriend's like me. Maybe that one reminder of his own loss triggered that.

I disagree. Six years can be plenty of time to get your life in order and accept death far more than a simple mourning period should require. There are many methods which exist to help people cope and simply accept the fact. Yes time does heal wounds if you let it. Its also the healthier psychologically by far to move on. If you have this issue you should seek help or deal with it.

well i dont know mabey his grandma was like a mum to him and he just couldnt haddle losing her even if she died years ago and just haering the info that her grandpa died sent him into the emotions he felt when his gram died they should have metin together and cried together it is horrible that both of them died =[ I dont know what i would do if i lost my mima

Wow, it may be some time later, but it doesn't mean his pain is any lesser than yours. Be compassionate and loving. You both have lost someone you love. It's not all about you, just because something bad happened. It can take only a small trigger, for some people, if they were close to the person they lost. Stop be self-absorbed and bitchy, and you can both be there for each other. Often, when you think of a lost loved one, it seems like it only just happened. The pain can be fresh and raw, even after many years. Don't judge him for needing support, too.

Well, sometimes in life a certain event can send emotions that we think we have dealt with long ago flooding back. It could very well be the case that hearing about you dead grandparent triggered strong memories and emotions of his own. He could be perfectly fine about it normally but got caught up in his own emotions. It is unfortunate for you but (from my very very limited amount of information) doesn't seem particularly malicious. He got hit with emotion, it happens.

You sound so selfish to me. If you're going to call your boyfriend out on FML like that, it doesn't seem like you're grieving an awful lot. Someone obviously cares about you enough to open up about their pain and you're going to complain about him on the internet and basically tell the world "Hey, look at what a shitty boyfriend I have." I understand that you were upset, I really do. I just lost my grandma in May and we were very very close. My boyfriend met her a couple of months before she died and she was at a point where she was going downhill rather quickly. My boyfriend got very upset and left the room because it reminded him too much of his grandmother who died years ago and it was still something that was very painful to him. So even though it hurt me so much to see my grandma in such terrible condition (she was basically about as responsive as a zombie and it really broke my heart to see her that way), I let my boyfriend grieve over his own grandma and it was something we dealt with together. He was with me when I got the phone call that she had passed away and again we were able to relate to one another because we had been in similar situations. You weren't forced to just sit there and listen. You could have just as easily spoken up and grieved about your losses together. I think you would have felt a lot closer to your boyfriend if you had. Would you rather talk to someone who has no clue what you're going through and is just waiting for you to stop talking? It seems like that's what you were doing to him. And for those who are saying that after six years he should be over his grandmother's death, I think it is completely dependent on a lot of things. My dad died eleven years ago and it wasn't something that I really came to terms with and dealt with until two years ago. If the boyfriend never told anyone how he was feeling and just kept it inside every time he thought about it, of course he wouldn't be over it. That's what I did regarding my father. I was only ten, and before it really hit me that he was gone (my parents were divorced so I was used to not seeing him for a while), everyone was commenting on how well I was getting over it. So I didn't talk about it even when it really hit me and I started having dreams about him and seeing him everywhere. It was very emotional when I finally did open up to someone and finally worked through all my feelings and the circumstances of his death. I still get sad when I think of him, and I still cry about it. Not everyone deals with trauma like that in the same way.

joy1523 0

wowww. if you are all really saying that its okay to go on and on about yourself and your pain when someone else is calling you for support, then you seriously have some things to reevaluate. i have experienced pain and loss, as have many others, but would NEVER let my pain override or diminish the pain of someone who ever called me for help and support during a time that is painful for them. nowhere did the poster say that her boyfriend shouldn't be sad or have feelings about his grandmother. the point is simply that it was completely NOT the right time for him to create a situation about HIS feelings, when it was her who came to him in a time of need during a currently and fresh painful situation for HER. she reached out to someone close to her for support during a tough time, and she didn't get that support, instead, she in her own upset state was made to feel like she had to be the crutch for him to lean on, for something that she may have already supported him though in the past. it is completely acceptable for her to be taken aback by his turning the situation around into something about him.

I'm not saying at all that she should just let him go on and on at all. I think that they could have talked together about their grief instead of her complaining that she had to listen to him talk about his grandma and cry the whole time. People don't always know what to do when another person needs support. Her loss obviously reminded him of his own and maybe he felt that expressing the way he felt would help her feel like she wasn't alone.

Awww.... that's so cute. He misses his grandma leave him alone. Even if it was 6 years ago. Oh and sorry about your grandpa OP.