Life experiences

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I realized that the only things I gained from my Masters programs are more debt and the knowledge that you can use a semicolon in a list. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 185
You deserved it 5 591

Top comments

mshafty 0

NO WAY. You went out and got a bullshit degree with bad job prospects and now can't get a job. Haven't seen this FMY before!!

F**k My Yo-Yo? F**k My Yarn? F**k My Youth? F**k My Yogurt? F**k My Youngster?

Comments

tomahawkinyouall 0

haha brave sir robin u forgot F*** MY YODELING F*** MY YIN YANG F*** MY YACKING F*** MY YUMYUM

perdix 29

You got a Master's Degree in Punctuation? Are you debating whether you should pursue a Doctoral degree in Penmanship or Recess?

... both of those are more useful than my friend's bachelor in archaeology.

letitbe56 0

Everyone knows that master's programs are pretty much a scam, except for a few disciplines, like an MBA, MFA, MSW, or MA/MS in clinical/counseling psych where you can get a certificate and practice, and maybe a few more. An MEd is great, but can sometimes make it harder for you to get a job since schools will have to pay you more. This is less true in sciences, WAY true in the humanities. If you're not getting a useful master's, the only reason to get one is because you're out of school, not sure what you want your career to be, and want to study something interesting for a year while you figure it out. Really, if you want a higher degree, go for the doctorate. If you go to a good program, they waive your tuition and give you a stipend. It takes a lot longer, but you won't accrue as much debt, and you'll probably get paid more than you would with just a master's after graduation.

I'd say knowing how to use semicolons is valuable and now a rare skill. I'm assuming it stands for higher level of reading and writing skills. If yes, your effort was not wasted at all. Cheer up!

martron3000 5

Never underestimate the power of the mighty semicolon! Moses parted the Red Sea; Alexander The Great created a vast empire; Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the Moon! Could all these incredible feats have been accomplished without the semicolon? Mankind may never know the answer to this question, but we do know the semicolon is a proud and noble punctuation mark, so honor it always! ;)

Splayd 10

Excellent use of the semicolon, my friend; I could not have transcribed it with more lucidity.

meluvsyou 0

ydi for getting a master's degree in 5th grade English.

If it took you until Master's level to learn that you can use a semicolon in a list (which I'm pretty sure I learned in Jr. High) you deserved it. I have the same degree, and I have an amazing job, btw.

Brave_sir_robin; I wish you were part of my crew xx