Jesus is my social media manager

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States - Saint Paul

Today, my daughter told me that she wanted to convert to Christianity. Not because she has a strong relation with God, but because she wants to post Facebook statuses about Him and "get a lot of likes." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 966
You deserved it 3 856

Top comments

sarahlove281 4

You've got to be ******* kidding me. This is where she has her priorities? You seriously need to talk with her.

Comments

It's good to know she's her own person and not some immature follower trying to be popular. You've done a great job OP. Next she'll be posting half naked pictures trying to get more friends.

Tell her she doesn't have to change her whole religion - just post a picture of a dying child and write 'like if you hate cancer'. Isn't that what all the like-***** douchebags do nowadays?

DasHaas 9

If she wants likes, you should point her to Freelancer.com. You can buy likes at about $20 per 10.000 there. She'll be the most well liked person on her wall.

The fact that site exists and people know about it makes me want to abandon Facebook altogether.

BunchieRules 31

38 - That, and also the people that join Facebook "just to say they have a Facebook". It bothers me when they don't actually want to use it in the first place, but have one because everyone does.

Props to your daughter - not for wanting to be an insecure attention *****, but for using religion like that. A good 90% of the people who claim to be Christian do it to meet social norms anyway. Just tell people you're Christian and all is well in USA. P.S. I don't care if I this comment gets buried, and no, I couldn't care less about a religious debate.

I don't see how that deserves props. You're right about the US being an essentially Christian society in terms of social norms, but wouldn't that mean it is better to go against the norm (assuming doing so means being true to your own beliefs) and challenging that doctrine?

That's nothing but a delusional fantasy. I, for one, am doing that as we speak (and have been all my life). What have I gained from doing so? Just about every relationship coming to an end due to a Christian girl losing it the moment I make it clear that I couldn't care less about religion, and other friends who continue to try and "convert" me in to become a Christian follower because that would supposedly "save" me from whatever. Which is exactly why I left the US and choose the smart route of telling people I am a follower whenever I am in the States. Girl deserves props for figuring out this concept on her own. Talk about Christianity = society will like you. Damn...I lied about not being interested in a debate. Have to admit, that just had to be said.

This gets downvoted but it is true. It's much easier to lie about your beliefs than go against the majority. I tried to defend my beliefs when I was young but all that got me was hate and mistrust. Now that I am older and have to worry about work and finishing college, it makes my life a hell of a lot easier just to lie and say I'm a Christian. I know for a fact that if my employer knew I was an atheist I would be fired.

That's just BS, I mean, it's true that atheists are the least trusted people in the US, but that doesn't mean you can't find people that share you're lack of religion, or don't care about what you don't believe in. Maybe it's because I'm young, but I would never tell someone I was a Christian, but I may not say I'm an atheist either unless they specifically ask. Its worked well for me so far. It's discrimination if your boss would fire you for that and it's none of his business anyways what your religion or lack of religion is. And to the OP of the thread, how do you know that they are an atheist and not a religion other than christianity? I don't know anyone who is a Hindu or Buddhist that wants to lie about that.

DeprivedPegasus is correct. Honesty in everything and going up against the majority to make a difference etc is stuff they teach you in school that just doesn't work in the real world. It's the image for an ideal society. I'm not saying it's impossible to find others who share the same views as I do. It's simply far more beneficial and elegant to present yourself as a Christian follower in the USA because that alone instantaneously means more access to a wide range of human networks. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

boycrazy30007 12

You don't stick with your beliefs to make a difference. You stock with your beliefs because they are YOUR beliefs. If you don't have enough pride in your beliefs to tell the truth about them than your nothing but a poser who will do whatever or takes to "fit in" or be "liked". Do you really want someone to be your friend if you have to pretend to be religious around them.

No but reality is that you simply cannot get by in the United States avoiding everyone who believes in Christianity. Whether it is work, relationship, friends of friends, your neighbors, or anyone else for that matter, the Christian population in the United States is simply too large compared to those who aren't that you can't just stick with the atheist community and get through life. It's not that big of a deal when you're a young guy or girl in school, but when you're out in the real world with responsibility, you just have to "give in" and make sacrifices to make things work. In court, for example, you have no choice but to raise your right hand and swear that you will tell the truth under God regardless of what you actually believe. Same concept. Sad, but that's just the way of life.

So don't avoid christians! You can do that and be honest at the same time.

Save you from whatever? That just shows how ignorant you are. And it's not true that 90% of people in the US say they're Christians to fit in or whatever. And you shouldn't lie to others and day you're Christian.

Apparently you just don't understand this simple concept: interact with Christians while being open about your religious perspective, and the fact that you're atheist = Christians try to talk you into becoming a Christian. I don't need this BS about statistics not being true. I speak from experience. I just got done dealing with a "friend" whose been trying to get me to become a member of his church for a full year despite me making it very clear that I'm not interested. Not the first time and first person this has happened with either. You guys are free to down vote me all you want and make yourself feel better telling yourselves otherwise but the truth will always be what it is, end of story.

My old friend did that when we were younger. But not for Facebook, so that her dad would let her go to a co Ed christian camp.

Time to be a parent. No more internet for her until she learns respect, social propriety, and common sense.

afairshake 8

Sounds to me like you really need to start taking your daughter to church if that is your belief so maybe she can understand how wrong that is and actually learn about God for the right reasons. Also appears she needs some guidance for a few other things. It's so sad to see what our youth will do nowadays for attention.

The word convert usually implies that they aren't already Christian. So going to church probably wouldn't help anything.

Knightchaser27 25

It could help the daughter see that she should n't take converting to Christianity so lightly.

Jesus loves me this I know, Because the Bible tells me so! Thumbs up if you agree. Comment if you feel loved. Visit my profile if you think I discovered evolution. All of the above for attention!