J'ACCUSE!

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - United Kingdom - Farnborough

Today, my brother accused me of faking my bipolar disorder for attention, all because I don't act the same as the bipolar girl in some TV show he watches. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 567
You deserved it 1 758

Top comments

Wait, you mean tv shows aren't always 100% accurate? Hmm, never would have guessed.

expertsmilee 26

I'd rather be any kind of bipolar than that kind of stupid.

Comments

expertsmilee 26

I'd rather be any kind of bipolar than that kind of stupid.

Yes. Bipolar can be managed with medication and therapy, you can't fix being stupid

Wait, you mean tv shows aren't always 100% accurate? Hmm, never would have guessed.

MikaykayUnicorn 36

Apparently people think tumblr is an accurate source for information on mental disorders as well, because I have been in the same shoes as OP, except it was friends telling me I don't have anxiety/depression because I don't act the same as the people on tumblr do.

It's even dumber than that, because doesn't bipolar disorder have a spectrum? The tv show very well could have done it's research, but this guy doesn't realize everything fits in the same POV as the show

well duh, of course an actor can show bipolar better than an actual sufferer

Alup132 22

That, and it's probably crazier or more dramatic to be either scarier, to e funny, or more dramatic.

There's no consequence on TV. In reality people with bipolar try not to be so bipolar. On TV they sensationalise it for the viewers. I have bipolar but nowhere near as awesome as Claire Danes does on Homeland lol

I'm sorry that he doesn't believe that you, a real person, have the disorder while the girl, a character from a show, is 'legitimate' according to him. FYL

Kick him in the nuts and tell him he's faking it if he complains. Mental illnesses come in all shapes and sizes.

Of course he's right! After all, I'm a qualified doctor, as I've seen every episode of House and ER...twice! (I'm making a damn joke, before you idiots start firing nukes at me...)

Idiot. You can't be a doctor if you also don't watch every season of Grey's Anatomy thrice.

19: That made me chuckle pretty good. ?

don't forget Children's Hospital on adult swim!

No offense but I think.... Your brother is a uneducated fool

Ugh medias view of bipolar makes me so mad as someone with it. TV shows tend to show bipolar girls as "manic pixie dream girls" and that's so inaccurate for most people, they miss out the bad parts, the mood swings etc. and don't even mention the various types. Not to mention shows like Homeland which do the exact opposite and *only* show the bad (don't even get me started on the lack of male representation...). Don't worry OP, you know the truth. Stigma around our condition is a bitch but you're awesome for fighting and **** his opinion.

I didn't realise I wrote such a rant but it's one of my biggest pet peeves. Sorry!

Don't be sorry for writing it. People need to know.

rapunzel13 11

Thankyou number 8, its ok you wrote that much-earnestly most people don't realize that people deal with being bipolar in many different ways...

rapunzel13 11

Well maybe not most people but a few

It drives me crazy (no pun intended) when some wack job goes on a rampage, shooting etc and the media always mentions they were bipolar/mentally ill. The vast majority of us hold jobs and blend in with society and you'd never know we have it. I tend to manage life quite well 99% of the time and have never been arrested or acted out in some bizarre way.

People with mental illnesses are more likely to be victims of violence or abuse rather than perpetrate it but of course the media usually shows it the other way around because it's easier to blame a mentally ill scapegoat than maybe think "normal" people are ****** up. No, I'm not bitter. lol.

Yea, because TV is the standard to judge mental illness

This is Murica. What do you mean the tv isn't always right? Jeeeeeesus himself supports television.

You're totally not bipolar. TV dictates everything! Yeah, right.