It's not you, it's you

By Anonymous - 22/04/2016 20:20 - United States - San Francisco

Today, through a mutual friend, I met the girl of my dreams. After flirting and exchanging numbers with her, my friend confessed that she's liked me since the day we met. Now the girl of my dreams doesn't want to pursue a relationship with me out of respect for our friend. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 632
You deserved it 1 761

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Honestly, if I were the friend, I wouldn't let myself get in the way of two people wanting to be together.

In a perfect world, you get the perfect girl and the perfect friend. In this world however, it seems you get neither. Life sucks sometimes.

Comments

It is really hard when you like someone a lot and they fall for your friend. It sucks for everyone involved. It is also really hard for OP and the friend. I think it isn't always clear whether there is a right or wrong thing to do in this situation.

Give it some time, it might be a good thing that she's giving you space to sort things out with your current friend. Maybe when emotions are running a bit less high and your friend has come to terms with her unrequited feelings you can try again with this girl. It also sounds like you're putting this girl on a pedestal a bit, it could be a good chance to get to know her properly as an actual person instead of some sort of dream girl.

Unlucky1232 20

well this is.... complicated. How long have u known this friend? If its been a year or so, why the hell not try at least? I mean the "girl of your dreams" u just met. You've know your friend for longer. Besides if it doesn't work out chances are u could always try with "the girl of your dreams "

@18: If he doesn't share the same feelings for the friend then he shouldn't just try for the stake of trying. It also sounds a bit like a pity date just to try due to how long they've known one another.

Unlucky1232 20

oh... i should've thought that shouldn't i? In case it's not obvious im not good at dealing with these scenarios.

Wait... So she set you up with that girl & then confessed to you after you hit it off with the girl she set you up with? Does anyone else find this strange?

It doesn't say the girl set them up together, just that they met through her. She probably just introduced them in a friendly way, and then got upset when she realized they were falling for each other, prompting her to disclose her feelings.

If she liked you so much, and for so long, I think she should have told you. It was also kind of a dick move by her to tell you when you met someone you clearly like more than her.

SmittyJA24 26

I've read this 4--5 times now & wonder if either of the 2 females in the OP's story are capable of behavior belonging to a mature adult; this sounds more like junior-high behavior. Yes, OP, your life sucks. Sorry, dude.

I agree with #4, if I were the friend I'd back off even if it hurt. Sometimes you just gotta accept situations.

this sounds really strange- maybe your friend is jealous that you're spending too much time with your crush.

I met a man of my dreams 7 years ago. We met though my friend who used date him. We lost contact until recently few months ago. We both realize we still have feelings for each other. We decide to date and told friend about it. She got really mad about it but come on. It been 7 years. Can't she be happy for me? So, your friend need to understand how you feel and let you to have her!

Just kindly tell your friend that you aren't interested in them that way. Problem solved.