Irony at a base level

By SterlingEnigma - 25/09/2009 08:43 - United States

Today, I decided to start making healthier decisions. Instead of the usual cheeseburger I have for lunch I ate an apple instead. I took one bite and broke one of my teeth. Apparently, apples keep the doctor away, but not dentists. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 335
You deserved it 7 366

Same thing different taste

Top comments

plutosaplanet 0

Comments

You were going to eat just an apple for lunch?

WTF is wrong with ur teeth is it broke in an apple?

apples have a acid in them thats bad for your teeth. ironic.

I broke a tooth once eating bacon. (It was totally my own fault, it needed a crown and I'd been dragging my feet on getting that done. Oh well.) So don't feel bad, the tooth was ready to go anyway.

FYI: Brushing your teeth is OK for helping bad breath and preventing gingivitis, but does little for actually keeping your teeth healthy; much of that depends on diet and other stuff. And you can be a model of oral hygiene and still have your teeth turn yellow, break, or die; it happens more times than you'd like to think and now they're starting to think that bad teeth can be genetic and all the brushing and flossing in the world won't help.

boatkicker 4

Yep. you're right. My fiance is a perfect model of tooth care (brushes he teeth three times a day, mouthwash twice a day, flosses frequently but on no set schedule) and he broke one of his teeth in a cheesburger a few weeks ago, and has had a ton of cavities over the years. Thankfully it was one of his wisdom teeth which he was going to get pulled anyways, but that did end up changing the date of the surgery. Meanwhile I brush my teeth once I day when I wake up in the morning. Floss when I think about it (once a month maybe?) and never use mouthwash. I've only ever had once cavity in my life, and it was in a baby tooth, which fell out when I was 8. I agree it must be genetic, because his mother also has bad teeth, and she's just as good at taking care of them as he is. My father, on the other hand has teeth that are minimally cared for, and are still very strong, as do all my fathers siblings, and his father. The diets of my immediate family, and my fiance's immediate family are similar enough for me to not consider it a diet thing.

redhead12 0

...thanks for sharing your poor oral hygiene with us, boatkicker. (Other than being a bit grossed out by your brushing habits, I do have to agree with the main point of your post. My dad and his family all take excellent care of their teeth, but get lots of cavities; my mom and I have never had any.)

My diet is horrendously unhealthy and has been for at least half my life, yet I've never had a single cavity or any sort of tooth problem. Never been to a dentist for anything but a regular checkup. So I agree with your point that it might be genetic. That theory fits my life like a glove, at least.

boatkicker 4

Sorry I grossed you out. My brushing habits reflect what I was taught as a child. Perhaps they aren't all that great but they are the same as everyone else in my family. Honestly, at first I was offended but then I realized that my mouth habits were the same as most of the people I grew up with outside my family too. Maybe it's a regional thing to have poor oral hygiene. haha. Anyways, if bad teeth aren't hugely effected by it, than I guess it doesn't matter much anyways. My biggest concern would be my breath, but I chew gum a lot so that's not a factor anyways. I feel better now.

haneki_fml 0

#27, does your fiancé happen to be OP's Bizarro twin?

mj2123 0

Yeah, that sucks, but an apple is not lunch. It's a snack at best.

voveraite 7

I agree with some posters above, your previous diet must have really weakened your teeth, in order for an apple to break them...

It's not the apple's fault that you don't take good care of your teeth!

HesaidShesaid 0

If you broke your teeth on an apple, you have a very serious calcium deficiency and need to have that looked at (looks like you're not keeping the doctors away either :P)