HOAs suck

By really? - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I got a notice from the housing association, if I don't water my lawn I will be charged a $150 fine. Yet if I do water my lawn the city with charge me a $150 fine because of the drought. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 943
You deserved it 1 702

Top comments

Report the housing association to the city? They probably can't be telling people to do that right now.

Comments

I live in San Diego and a lot of people here have been using the lawn-painting method (paint is eco-friendly) to make their lawns look good during the drought. However, you shouldn't be required to pay for that.

olpally 32

Just water it anyways and don't pay the fine... Explain the hypocrisy to them.

ThePandoricaOpen 18

So, basically, you're telling OP to disregard the city ordinance? Yeah, no. California is in a drought right now, incase you haven't noticed.

Write back to the HOA describing how stupid they are.

The solution is simple. Step 1 - Buy green spray paint Step 2 - Paint lawn Probably still cheaper than the fine.

Dude we have to live like towns away. Same thing happened it's actually funny.

Jeeze, why can the housing association fine you? It's your property, not theirs. You should be allowed to do whatever you want with your own lawn. 'Murica is crazy.

triplebeerox 27

In my neighborhood in Florida our housing association makes sure the neighborhood looks clean and tidy. If they see that the lawn is too high or your house looks busted, they tell you to do something about it. The HOA just keeps the neighborhood from getting run down and dirty which you might see in neighborhoods that don't have an HOA. Plus, before you move in, they tell you what's expected from you if you decide to live in the neighborhood. If you don't like it, you don't get a house in that area.

When u get a house in an hoa u agree to their rules. Usually in the fine print or sometimes even bold the hoa can lien your property if u don't follow the rules. In reality when u live in an hoa u are bound to follow it or they can usually take your property.

#66, a lot if the HOA me members don't even follow the rules that they made. My parents HOA tried to slap them with a $1000 fine because of ten things that weren't pleasing to their eyes until my dad read their own rules back to them at a meeting which completely voided those "wrong doings." HOAs are just power hungry members who think they can throw their weight around because no one will fight them.