Growing old disgracefully

By adam - 05/12/2015 14:54 - Czech Republic

Today, my dad is having his midlife crisis, bought a Mercedes, along with having a girlfriend less than half his age. I was trying to be supportive, until I found out he is funding his midlife crisis with my university loan. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 260
You deserved it 1 558

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ooooh he bought a girlfriend? Where do they sell those?? :D

The good news is that your credit history must be good. My student loan is not even close to affording a car & a gf.

Comments

you then tell dad he's allowed to be nuts on his own dime not yours

I'm not certain what the laws are there or what the wording of your loan agreement was, but usually student loans state they must be used for educational expenses. Ignoring for a moment the possible theft charge, what your father did was likely considered fraudulent use of the loan, and against the loan agreement. Discussing this with either your school's financial aid department or the lender's office may allow you to get your aid back, but it would likely result in some sort of legal action against your father. Instead, I would start by confronting him directly. Do not be understanding or sympathetic, because what he did was wrong. Explain to him that by trying to regain his youth, he is destroying your future. If that doesn't work, then tell him he can either repay you or you can have legal action brought against him. Either way, ensure that a) any loans or refunds are deposited in an account that only you know about and have access to, and b) that you avoid having him co-sign on loans in the future.

rldostie 19

Maybe it depends on the country but in the US, you can do whatever you want with surplus loan money. So if you take a semester loan for $20k, but your tuition/fees/books expenses is $10k, the remaining 10k goes into your bank account to do whatever you want with it. One must remember, though, that you still have to pay it all back. I'm wondering if the father applied for the max loan and used the surplus money for car and girlfriend.

I don't understand. How can he access the funds in a loan that is issued to you, and that you are responsible for paying back? I'd threaten him with reporting that as fraud if he doesn't stop what he's doing and start paying up. That kind of behavior could ruin your life. Take care of yourself!

shortcake18 15

Maybe try an intervention but learning from the last post it may not workout very well...

Dunno how loans work in the Czech Republic, but it doesn't sound right...

Two posts in a row regarding fathers with mid-life crises? Hm.

Wow, the new sleazy gf is in for a shock when she's learns where the money came from, poor sugar daddy... Sucks for her!

This is not plausible.. most universities are free in the Czech Republic and the way you worded it, "university loan", just tells me you are copying all the US fmls that go along those lines.

Seems like a popular time in the FML community for people to have midlife crisis