Gross

By seriously_CAT - 21/10/2015 02:26

Today, I had to try to convince my roommate that, yes, you do need to use dish soap when you hand wash dishes because of bacteria in old food. She still won't believe me, insisting that, "There's no such thing as bacteria in food." FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 647
You deserved it 1 613

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Make them a special dinner with raw chicken and eggs

Comments

next thing you know she's going to say air didn't exist because she can't see it

looks like bacteria has already killed her brain cells

Ianamis 6

There is Bacteria correct, however the hot water you use when washing takes care of it. All Anti-Bacterial soap does is kill the non-resistant bacteria and leaving the resistant ones alive. Which is a HUGE issue in our society is Bacteria becoming resistant. So your friend while wrong on why it isn't a good idea is right that it is an issue to an extent.

michaelm1290 23

As someone in the medical field, I am going to tell you that you are wrong on all accounts. No the warm water isn't what kills the bacteria and no the soap doesn't just kill the "non-resistant bacteria". No matter how much you wash your hands, you never sterilize, that is, eliminate all the bacteria (nor fungus for that matter) on the skin. The problem with bacteria resistance is more a product of inappropriate antibiotic utilization, not washing your hands.

"As someone in the medical field" : Awkward... "The problem with bacteria resistance is more a product of inappropriate antibiotic utilization, not washing your hands." : Yes, like adding it to soap, toothpaste, etc and prescribing it for viral infections.

Actually you are right, to a degree. I don't want to argue with the medical field guy, especially since I'm going to school for a much shorter time than he did, but I did just finish a class on this stuff. I'm a culinary student, and we have to take a nationaly known class about how to not spread food borne illnesses, you HAVE to use both hot water and soap. Both kill bacteria, but the hot water kills most of it; the soap mostly is there to cut through grease and stuck on leftover food. The rule for hand washing dishes is to use the hottest water you can stand before burning yourself, but it has to be at least 71 degrees Celsius. Because that's what kills the bacteria, not the soap, but both are still very important.

account_to_poost 3

You only NEED soap if there's grease or visible dried/caked/cooked on food. The primary function of the soap is to loosen that stuff up to get it off, so you can then use the scalding water to sanitize the surface of the dish.

You should get a microscope and show her what bacteria is and look for her tiny brain at the same time.

I learned doing a food hygiene course that dish soap only cuts through grease. If I remember correctly the only way to kill bacteria is with a heat of 75C or above.

Yeah. There seems to be some profound misunderstandings. Probably fed by the soap manufacturers information. Soap makes cleaning easier. That's it. Washing is inherently a mechanical process.

account_to_poost 3

Exactly. But it seems the majority of the replies here are from people that sit calling everyone else stupid, when it is THEY that are stupid (and/or have fallen for the dish soap marketing BS)