Grasping at straws

By lulumars - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I finally confronted my mom about how I felt about her three divorces. She then explained that she went through the divorces because I failed to keep the house clean. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 541
You deserved it 2 717

Top comments

"Damnit the house isn't clean, honey were getting a divorce!" I don't see a logical thought process

Comments

ajs1987 15

YDI. 1) never judge someone based on their past 2) you want to tell your mom how you feel about her, expect it back

ajs1987 15

That's fine, if her feelings come from knowing that 3 divorces doesn't degrade her as a person, and a divorce isn't "the easy way out" then I think OP's mom should listen. My initial reaction to the posting was OP probably wanted to say, "Mom, if you can't stay married to someone then . . . It's not right for you to get divorced so many times because . . . When you stand at the altar to get married, you're promising . . ." All of which sound reasonable and wonderful until you learn that people change throughout the course of their lifetime. I'm 28 and unmarried, if I were married I believe I'd be different. I believe I won't be the same when I'm 30, 46, 53 or 66. Sometimes the person who's right for you now won't be right 10 years from now. I'm guessing those who voted me down haven't learned that yet.

Ah, yes, the disposable marriage. Loyalty and "Til death do us part" are good things. Discarding something that's broken rather than fixing it is not. (Barring abuse.) Before anyone goes there, yes, I've been around the block a few times in my 43 years.

Letting your kids have 2-3 stepfathers (and who knows how many boyfriends it took between each relationship) is a rather irresponsible (and potentially dangerous) way to live your life. depending on how old the OP is and how old she was during the marriage, she had every right to tell her mother her honest feelings about how switching men so often was disrupting her life. Ive seen plenty of women flit from guy to guy or marriage to marriage, dragging their kids through their mud and its heartbreaking.

This FML doesn't even make sense. When moderating I saw some pretty good FMLs and THIS is the one that made it? i hope you guys are as offended as I am

I DID NOT SAY THAT THIS WAS NOT AN FML, I said it didn't make any sense and I saw better ones when moderating MY COMMENT SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN MODERATED >:(

she cant blame you if she can't keep a man. seems like she's willing to blame anyone but herself or her 3 ex husbands

If a dirty house calls for a divorce, the marriage must not have been that great in the first place.

dragoongirl90 34

Did you tell her that it's not the child's job to keep the house clean? That it's the freakin adult's job?

It's your fault? Really? One divorce is unfortunately common (me). THREE divorces? That's on yo momma!

Well she seems like the person to blame others for her mistakes so don't worry about it OP.

looks like you should clean a little more , lmao