Grasping at straws

By lulumars - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I finally confronted my mom about how I felt about her three divorces. She then explained that she went through the divorces because I failed to keep the house clean. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 541
You deserved it 2 717

Top comments

"Damnit the house isn't clean, honey were getting a divorce!" I don't see a logical thought process

Comments

She sounds like one of those people who always acts the victim. Chin up OP! Doesn't make any logical sense how you could be at fault.

ask her again to thoroughly explain her logic about you not keeping the house clean connecting to her divorces. I don't think anyone here understands the connection between the two

It seems to me that the mom didn't want to talk about her 3 divorces and just said that to end the conversation. Well either that or she's crazy.

So she's gonna blame 3 divorces on you?! That's ******* stupid. Sorry, OP.

She's irrational but so are you! I mean three times? can't you clean your room once a week ?

I don't see what the problem here, even if it was reasonable for OP to be cleaning the entire bloody house, how would that have anything to do with their mum getting divorced? if she is getting a divorce over that they were never gonna make it anyway

2nd 20

Not really, no. Her job is to raise her children. The least OP could do for her is clean around the house a little bit. I used to be in the same boat with being rather messy and it did in fact have an effect on my parents relationship, living in a messy house is just added on stress that OP's mother might not be able to take. Also, it's not really hard to pick up after yourself. OP could just talk to her mother about it, and put an actual effort into cleaning up after herself on a term for example, "Hey mom I'll clean up after myself if you promise to do the same and don't pin your messes on me." Although not in that douche-like way.

I assumed he was talking about it being the mom's job to keep her marriages together instead of blaming the kid.

How could you be so foolish? Didn't you know that not keeping the house clean caused your mother's three failed marriages? So selfish XD

CharlesEmersonW 31

That sounds like she pretty much blurted out the first thing that crossed her mind. It's pretty clear it isn't the real reason. Don't worry, you will find out the reason sooner or later I believe :)

My mom told me that one the major reasons my stepdad and her broke up, was because they always argued over the fact that I didn't always clean up, so I feel ya!